OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Diaphragm for closing  (Read 2308 times)

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Diaphragm for closing
« on: April 21, 2022, 08:45:13 AM »
I use pots and boxes almost exclusively.  I'm looking for recommendations on diaphragms to use as a closer, simple clucks and soft yelps to bring him those last few yards.  So many are loud and raspy.  Thinking sweeter and softer.  Many thanks everyone.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Diaphragm for closing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 08:52:08 AM »
I like either a 2 Reed no cut or a ghost cut call for softer calling. Has far has brand goes that is personal preference but Sadler McGraw, Houndstooth, Hooks and Woodhaven work well for me for the fit of my pallet. Gooserbat makes really good calls but when I order them I get them uncut, because the way they come pre cut I just can't get a good seal.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 09:58:35 AM »
I think there's a lot of misinformation regarding diaphragm calls, the cuts, and what certain calls can do. There's no governor belt on a call that controls the volume or amount of rasp. It takes practice to learn how to control how much air you're blowing over the call and how to control the amount of rasp you use in a yelp.

For example, you hear/read a lot about ghost cut calls being great for kee kees and whistles or cleaner yelps. Certainly true! But that doesn't mean you can't generate a great kee kee or clean yelp on a batwing/combo cut/whatever style cut you use.

Another example of a call description you hear about is "great for cutting/cackling." In my opinion, this has entirely more to do with the amount of reeds, latex thickness, and tension than it does with the cut in the call.

In my opinion, the caller and perhaps more importantly, the cut fitting the caller is the most important thing to figure out when using/buying diaphragms.

Now, I will say that lighter latex/proph combinations do make it easier to play a call more softly. And I'll also add that in my experience, a call with only a split v, no wings trimmed, purely a V cut, is difficult to get a clean front end note on a yelp. Again, just my opinion, but I believe you need a larger portion of the top Reed removed to more easily access a cleaner front end.

Find what works for you, and then practice bringing the volume down as low as you can. All of the folks our colleague Rakkin mention build fine calls that are capable of making whatever turkey sound you put the time in to get out of them.

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 07:53:43 PM »
Good info here.  Thanks

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 09:52:29 PM »
If a diaphram fits you & your calling style you can do anything with it soft or loud. IMO Mike

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »
I tend to agree with Compton's assessment. In my experience a split V call takes more air and tongue pressure to access the higher pitches in the call making it difficult to keep the high end notes soft and subtle. A call with less material/bigger gaps like say a ghost cut or batwing on the top reed allow middle reeds to vibrate more readily with less pressure making it easier to control variations in pitch when soft calling.

I find if I get loud and aggressive on these bigger gapped calls like I do with a split V, the top reed has  a tendency to flap instead of vibrate during the break over from high to low and I tend to flip the tag ends over if I try and get too loud on them.

For me at least, a split V call lends itself better to more agrresive loud cutting/yelping where a ghost/batwing or any other cut with bigger gaps and less material resting on the lower reed excell in the softer more subtle ranges.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 09:24:10 AM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 04:46:18 PM »
I would add it's generally the combo cuts that flip on me and it may be the case that I'm stretching the latex out calling on them so hard.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 06:13:20 PM »
I use a 2 reed (no cuts) or a 3 reed ghost cut for the close in stuff. Get em coming with the box, finish em with the diaphragm.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 08:11:13 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback.  I enjoyed good luck this spring getting 3 birds but worked harder than I ever have.  My best luck was with pot calls as I feel my cadence is best with them.  I think I'm a tad slow at times with a box resulting in jake-like yelps.  We had an abundance of jakes (a good problem to have), but the gobblers would get quiet once the jakes started squawking and coming in aggressively.  I needed that diaphragm for the last soft yelp or cluck or two to seal the deal.  That's the reason I asked for the softer yelp, easier clucking diaphragm.  They're never my go to call, but I feel they are necessary.

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 05:29:46 AM »
Houndstooth!!!

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline Jbird22

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »
I finish em with the same call I start em with, a self-built 3-reed modified ghost. My best advice is to take the call that you're most confident with for "regular" calling and learn how to control your air for soft calling. It makes life much easier not having to swap between calls.

Offline vthokie7227

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 10:55:25 AM »
Denny Gulvas Master's Choice is my go to for soft talk and pretty much anything else for that matter. It's incredibly easy to run and takes very little air. The soft, almost under your breath type yelps it can produce are deadly. That aside, so much of using a diaphragm is finding a cut/style that fits your airflow and how you call. You're probably already proficient with a diaphragm, but if you're curious about finding your airflow, check out Shane Simpson's video "Mouth Call Mechanics" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFs--tKA46I

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
My One and Done all is made just for a closing call.  Single reed plays soft.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 09:05:55 PM »
As others have said, a single reed or two reed call is easier to control to make the soft clucks, purrs and yelps to finish with.  But PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE is the key as well.  Most of us love to hear ourselves so when we PRACTICE, we Announce ourselves with Authority and don't practice the soft stuff because it's boring.  IMO any good fitting mouth call will deliver the sounds that will finish a gobbler but you have to practice, practice and practice getting those soft, subtle tones with the right amount of air.  My 2 cents. 

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 10:07:59 PM »
Thanks again for all the advice.  I'll be reaching out to Gooserbat, been on the website already.