OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Eggshells huunt log  (Read 2190 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Eggshells huunt log
« on: April 21, 2022, 07:31:19 AM »
Let me define a couple parameters before I continue. I will be short posting some hunts with generalized statements, and the one you will see a lot is, "Turkey hunting sucked today". This short post includes all hunts that were either, weather impacted or some form of negative event (like no gobbling was heard or some butthead ruined a hunt). If I worked birds I will post a log, but it may be short and sweet.

So here Goes.

Kentucky 2022.

April 16,2022 Opener. Early birds only gobbled a few times and shut up none close and no set up. About 8:15 AM a gobbler opened up down the ridge, after we called. Next gobble was 1/2 the distance. So we rushed to set up. I inadvertently set up with a blow down mess 35 yards in front of me. Yup he came and strutted right behind it until a hen showed up and I watched them walk away. No shot.

At 10:15 a bird opened up across the valley and it was my buddies turn and I said, "go get him" a half hour later he came toting him back. One down.

April 18, 2022 - Hunting double sucked! Heavy rain and wind. We sat in the truck all morning. Around noon it quit and we ventured into the woods and Holy Cow, we struck a bird. After an hour we got him to break and he was coming and at 150 yards he stopped and beat it back up the hill. What the heck!. Walking out we were speculating how he busted us and then we saw it. Someone had parked at the gate right beside us and came in on the fire road. This is a big open bowl and the bird could easily see them walking the road. It's a very small area and suited best for one hunter or set of hunters. Oh well, it was public land and just part of it, move on. Both of us just agreed we'd not even go back to that spot as it was likely these locals were claiming there territory and it's not worth the hassle. We actually talked to someone who told us a couple locals were harassing out of state hunters. So we drove to another segment 40 miles away. 

April 19, 2022 - Turkey hunting really sucked. We walked 1,000 miles made 10,000 calls and not one gobble. we even traveled 6 miles by boat. Finally at 4:00 Pm I had two long beards slip in silent and busted me at 50+ yards.
Yup that sucked more. The only comical part of the day was at one gate some one had set up a round of cut firewood  and wrote on the end in marker, "F**K Turkeys. So I know it sucked for everyone.

April 20, 2022 - What the heck is that noise in the woods? I believe it's actually gobbling. Heard several birds and set up on three and each one had hens come to them and by 9:00 they shut up. We only heard an occasional gobble and no hot birds so came home at noon. Planning a return trip in a week.

Waiting for Ohio opener April 23, 2022

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Eggshells huunt log
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »
Opening day frustration. The old saying applies, one of those days. I heard probably 414 gobbles today and no one wanted to play dead turkey except a jake and he didn't meet minimum qualifications. Set up 4 times on gobblers and not one would respond well or budge an inch. I don't like to pressure them on the farm, so I just left them for another day. All morning I'd hear one random gobble here or there. So tomorrow will be a quick hitter then church and MOnday I will declare war

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 08:36:43 AM »
Today is the Lord's day. Sat on the porch and listened to a couple up on the ridge. They gobbled until fly down and shut up. Wife's cousin was up there on them, but no shots yet. Tomorrow we open a can of whoop arse

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 06:08:02 PM »
The turkeys took the can of whoop arse away from me and are kicking my arse. yesterday, was on an old bird that I had pegged. Was with 100 yards on the roost and he gobbled 300+ times until a hen showed up and then hopped down and took off for some morning delight with his girl. No more action.

This morning went to the far end of the farm and heard  birds and set in good position on two and they wouldn't even answer. after an hour sitting and waiting on each I called it a day and went home with a wounded ego. Tomorrow morning I am going to try and get position on a bench they like, but if this same old game unfolds I'm headed home early again. No use educating them even more. So dang many hens.

On a side note: At least I am getting plenty of woods time, which I was afraid with one tag I wouldn't.  So far this has been  a brutal season. I will not use deer tactics to kill a gobbler, I want to call to birds and hear them answer, so if they ain't playing I'm moving on. Most of the birds  I know have been killed have been using deer tactics. Blinds on fields, pattering and ambush.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »
I am predicting that your luck is going to change pretty darn soon, Dana!  They can't keep eluding an old pro indefinitely! :icon_thumright:

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 05:53:57 PM »
This was a certified brain fart hunt. Knew the bench old Tom liked to set up on and got there early. decided I needed to push the envelope and move up the hill a bit. At Gobble time I owl hooted and the responding gobble about busted my ear drums. He was roosted 75 yards away and looking right down on me. He had seen me come in during gray light, but not sure what I was. I should of tried to video it. He'd study me and then gobble emphatically. This went on for 45 minutes and I was in a bad position after twisting around the tree. I knew if and when he flew off the roost it wouldn't be near me. Since I had never called I just moved so he could see me and fly off. That way I could move on to hunt another bird. I never heard any other birds, but walked up on a jake (pass). I had to get in early  as I have a logging crew on my land today and tomorrow, cleaning up down trees from last winter's ice storm. So  I helped log timber all day and I am beat. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 08:35:04 AM »
Well this is why turkey hunting is so addicting, it can be total frustration and then one morning one decides to be the biggest dumbarse in the world. This morning was misting rain and I decided it was time to play my ace and hunt the birds behind my house. I got to the bench and waited and bingo a bird gobbled below me, then one to the left and I knew the left bird would be the one to come. When I had decent light I soft called a couple tree calls and he cut me off. I waited and in about five minutes I heard wings beat and brush crunch below me. I gave a very soft whine and took my safety off and preaimed the gun. Bingo again, here came a black shape up over the bench lip. He stopped at 45 yards and blew up, then walked 10 more and started looking for his love connection. Instead he connected with a load of # 5s in the face.  21lb 6 oz, 1" spurs and 8" beardOhio season is filled, back to Ky and then SD in 12 days.

Offline randy6471

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 09:15:58 AM »
 Congrats Dana!! It was only a matter of time for you!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 09:30:28 AM »
Congrats Dana!! It was only a matter of time for you!

Yup,...we all knew it was coming...   :D

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 09:47:48 AM »
Congrats on a fun and successful hunt!

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 11:04:43 AM »
Thanks guys, I hear another GOATS member put one down today, too

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »
congrats on a nice job

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 09:08:13 PM »
Today was a one day trip down into Kentucky. Hunting all private ground today and had high hopes. They soon got dashed as the birds had moved and we were grossly out of position when they opened up. By the time we got to them they were shutting up and we could only get one bird to work and he circled up into a field we did not have permission in. We packed it up at 11:00Am and drove home disappointed. Thinking of trying Wednesday and that will be most likely the last trip. Unnless something changes I never worked a single bird in KY.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 07:00:07 AM »
Hang in there along as you are having fun. As you well know it can change in an instant. This is supposed to be a fun time of the year and sometimes we let our desire to kill a turkey overwhelm everything else. I know I do better when I just step back and enjoy the ride. The only person putting pressure on you is yourself. It's gonna be a long time till spring rolls around again.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline randy6471

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 06:19:34 PM »
 Happy really nailed some great points with his post. Just gotta try to relax and enjoy the moment, because the 2022 season will be over before you know it...and it’s a long wait until the 2023 season.
 SD coming up for you soon and maybe a change of scenery will be just ticket!