News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SxS 20 ga setup questions

Started by Fillmoregandt, February 09, 2023, 11:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fillmoregandt

Hello all,

So after winning some money in my fantasy football league, I've decided to put that towards a new turkey gun, and am currently infatuated with the CZ Bobwhite All -Terrain 20 ga.

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger (pun intended), other than the potential POA/POI issue.  I've read countless threads on multiple boards, and it sounds like CZ sxs's are pretty good regarding POA/POI, however folks still have to account for POI when setting up the gun.

Any last minute tips or words of wisdom before I purchase?

My plans:
- I'd probably put a xfull/turkey choke in one barrel, and mod (?) in the second. No real preference as to flush/extended, and I believe Carlsons and Trulock make extended chokes that fit
- from reading up on this, sounds like people shoot test loads at 12 yards and 30 yards to test POA/POi.  If everything aligns, then you're good to go.  But what if they don't? 

I've read that some guys set up their long barrel as "on" and make the other barrel the short barrel.  Is that done by determining which barrel is the closest in terms of POI?   In other words, which ever barrel is closest to POA/POI, make that the 'long' barrel, and the other barrel (least accurate in terms of POA/POi) would be the 'short' barrel?

I'm sure I'm over complicating this, but would hate to drop a few hundred bucks on a gun that isn't accurate.   Thoughts?

Thanks

runngun

I just got a CZ Sharptail 20 gauge,  I shot it yesterday at 16 yards with the factory full and the improved modified.  It hit absolutely dead on with both barrels.  I  had read the same thing about them as well, that's why I checked it. Also shot it with TSS 8s and 10s at 40 yards. I  will be leaving it alone.  Awesome patterns for me. 

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Fillmoregandt

Good to know.   Thanks for the feedback, Bo

g8rvet

My Bobwhite is awaiting chokes as we speak. 

My plans?  Turkey choke in one barrel, Imp Mod in the other. Fire from rest at 15 yards for POI for both barrels with some Federal Prairie Storm shot I have.  Swap chokes if one is not on. Shoot again to see POA/POI.  Shoot short barrel at 25 yards. Try at 25 yards with plain sights and the load I intend to hunt with for long barrels.  If good POA/POI, move back for one shot at 40 yards.

If I am having issues with aiming that can be fixed with a rib mount sight or mid bead, I will do it.  If not, I will sell gun and look again.

I did not get the All Terrain so I need to get a sling mount installed.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

How are you going to mount the sling? I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly that. Be the CZ Sharptail has a solid Rib.

Have a good one, Bo

DocHolliday

Quote from: runngun on February 09, 2023, 01:41:19 PM
How are you going to mount the sling? I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly that. Be the CZ Sharptail has a solid Rib.

Have a good one, Bo

Dakota Arms (and others) sell (Brownell's) a swivel stud that screws into the bottom rib. Must be d&t'd.

runngun

Thanks for sharing this information!!!

Have a good one, Bo

crow

I hunt with a 20ga. Bobwhite. I did get better patterns with ext. chokes, thats what I spring turkey hunt with. 

In my gun POI/POA was "on" with 7/8 oz of lead, probably what they regulated it with. Shooting 1oz lead loads you can see poi start moving to the right in the right barrel and left in left barrel. With 1.25oz lead pheasant loads it's even more noticeable. With 15g federal HVWT and/or 18gTSS it is very noticeable. Both of my barrels are equal to each other in the amount of distance the center of the pattern is off in POI vs POA.

With fixed choked sxs's that have different chokes, most are set up with the left barrel (back trigger) being the tight choked distance barrel, this is how I grew up shooting them and set the bobwhite up the same.

In the spring hardwoods, TSS in a Truloc .571 in the left barrel and a lighter load of TSS with a Carlson .575 in the right barrel. In thicker areas, same loads with a more open choke in the right (close) barrel.

If your POI is off from POA, there is a method of filing your chokes to shift POI, I did this and it worked out great. If possible I like to have both barrels shooting to POA.

MY gun shot a little low when aiming it like a rifle, I put a mid bead on it and shoot with the front bead stacked on top of the mid bead for a figure "8" sight picture, that corrected that problem.

for fall turkey I set it up a little different

Fillmoregandt

Quote from: crow on February 11, 2023, 11:03:23 PM

If your POI is off from POA, there is a method of filing your chokes to shift POI, I did this and it worked out great. If possible I like to have both barrels shooting to POA.

Thanks for the info.  Can you describe this process (filing chokes) a little more?  Hopefully I won't have a POA/POI issue, but just in case, I'd like to know any possible remedy

crow

Quote from: Fillmoregandt on February 13, 2023, 02:48:59 PM
Quote from: crow on February 11, 2023, 11:03:23 PM

Thanks for the info.  Can you describe this process (filing chokes) a little more?  Hopefully I won't have a POA/POI issue, but just in case, I'd like to know any possible remedy

I'm looking for the threads where I got the info to save some typing.
It wasn't difficult, do it by hand with a very small diameter chainsaw file, no power tools

It may open the pattern a little, start with a tighter choke constriction than you want to end up with.
I read some people's patterns went from round to an oblong shape.
My pattern stayed round and didn't noticeably open, the method worked great in my gun