OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Franchi Affinity Elite 20 ga issue autoloading second shell  (Read 5410 times)

Offline RichieD

Franchi Affinity Elite 20 ga issue autoloading second shell
« on: April 20, 2022, 10:25:08 AM »
Hello, my new Franchi Affinity Elite 20 ga turkey gun has an issue autoloading the second shell.   When I shoot the first shell the second shell sits halfway between the receiver, if i give it a little push from underneath it will then load.  It's like it gets hung up at the same spot every time.... I've cleaned it, lightly oiled but still the same.   Anyone else have a similiar issue?

I've just read on other posts that Federal TSS will not cycle through this gun.  Is this true?  That is what I am shooting through it.  Thanks again for any advice.

Okay further testing seems like any TSS shell with the rolled over crimp doesn't cycle, Federal, Apex...etc..  Browning TSS with the star crimp cycles fine.   ???

Is there a fix?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:01:32 AM by RichieD »

Offline Trkmaster88

Re: Franchi Affinity Elite 20 ga issue autoloading second shell
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 12:18:02 PM »
I just went through this with another member and believe I found the cause and what the fix is. Shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you out. My 20ga Affinity wouldn't lift the Fed TSS shell either (cycling by hand) and that is fixed now.

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 06:13:18 PM »
mine does the same with Federal Tss and their grand slam, both roll crimped. The Apex are shorter and they feed in my gun. I believe Fox Trot is fold crimped so that maybe an option if you can't figure it out.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 04:05:13 AM »
I have heard that the Federals due to their length sometimes have issues with failure to feed in semi autos. Both of my guns are pumps so I can't say I have had any issues.  I have shot the Federals but use Apex and some hand rolled 2 3/4" #9. I am sure trkmaster88 will get you squared away.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »
Did the "fix" work?? Shooting Federal 1st then back up is another brand. Havent used it except to sight in.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 07:11:02 PM »
I gotta drum this back up. Not because I've had any issues with my Franchi cycling shells from the tube and into the action, but because a lot of the time I cannot even get the Federal shells into the tube. Sometimes they go in perfectly, albeit maybe a touch snug. Other times they get 3/4 of the way into the tube and, if I've pushed it in too forcefully, it gets stuck stuck. I then have to take the cap off, and slide the barrel out to get it cleared. Now I will say, after doing this, the shells will almost always go right into the tube without fuss. I would assume that the length of the casing is the issue but that also doesn't really explain why they will go in sometimes but not others. I'll try other shells when a fella can actually buy them but until then, any help is appreciated.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 08:57:13 PM »
The only shell that wouldn't eject in my gun is the 7/8 oz load ... other than that i've had no problems with loading or unloading the Elite 3 turkey .... If you look on Youtube and look up how to load and unload the gun a young man will show how to solve a lot of these load / unload problems ...

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 08:03:56 AM »
Compton, had same issue 1 morning, had to wait to load gun until I was almost too area I wanted to hunt. Loaded chamber, tried loading mag. wouldn't go, after loading chamber I soft closed bolt, after I removed stuck shell, let bolt slam into position, loaded mag with no problem. Only time I have had this problem, this area requires me to navigate a narrow long wooden walkway, wont load gun till I cross. I Load Federal into chamber and different rounds as backup, still haven't tried or needed 2nd shot, never heard if Trkmaster88 fix worked?  And of course the Tom I was after heard the whole process.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 01:14:28 PM »
Looks like bending the carrier latch (part that holds the shells in the mag) is working. Worked on mine and another gentleman's as well. I want to say if you have an affinity that is hard to load a shell in the mag, the gun won't feed the longer rolled shells. The issue is when the carrier latch is sticking out too far, it makes the shells hard to load in the mag, and also gets in the way when the shell pulled out of the mag is attempting to be lifted up. You can see in the photo the latch pushing the top of the shell into the side of the receiver.

Online bwhana

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 01:27:44 PM »
I'm going to try bending mine during the summer (if I mess it up, a replacement is only about $45), but for those willing to spend it, this is probably the best fix... https://www.briley3gun.com/p-61367-briley-articulating-latch-benelli-m2franchi-affinity.aspx

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »
This is what I put in my m2. Much cheaper if it is in stock. Would have to drill and tap it if you wanted the larger affinity release button still. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60488

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
Looks like bending the carrier latch (part that holds the shells in the mag) is working. Worked on mine and another gentleman's as well. I want to say if you have an affinity that is hard to load a shell in the mag, the gun won't feed the longer rolled shells. The issue is when the carrier latch is sticking out too far, it makes the shells hard to load in the mag, and also gets in the way when the shell pulled out of the mag is attempting to be lifted up. You can see in the photo the latch pushing the top of the shell into the side of the receiver.

So when you say that you're bending it, do you just mean that you used a pair of pliers or whatever you needed to bend it so that the carrier latch is no longer pushing the shells into the side of the receiver? Just that little bit has solved the problem?

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 07:03:11 PM »
So i know with my gun you can push the carrier latch to unload the 2 shells in the mag tube ... how will bending of the latch affect it overall and agree with others how did you bend the latch ?

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 08:18:31 AM »

So when you say that you're bending it, do you just mean that you used a pair of pliers or whatever you needed to bend it so that the carrier latch is no longer pushing the shells into the side of the receiver? Just that little bit has solved the problem?

Exactly. Pull the carrier latch out of the gun, bend it slightly where it starts to curve out shown here. I put it in a padded vice to make it easy and be precise. Worse case you bend too far and it won't hold shells in the mag. Bend back the other way until the shells hold.

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
So i know with my gun you can push the carrier latch to unload the 2 shells in the mag tube ... how will bending of the latch affect it overall and agree with others how did you bend the latch ?

If the carrier latch doesn't stick out as far after bending, it will be easier to push in to unload the shells from the mag. It will also be easier to load shells in the mag. The end of the carrier latch acts as a spring.