OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions on likely WLBXR availability for this year

Started by DMTJAGER, April 19, 2022, 03:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

What does anyone think (especially those with insider knowledge of the industry) what the odds are we will see any more Winchester Long beard XR shells made available (this year) for sale, especially 12ga 3.5" version, in quantities significant enough in number to be readily obtainable and not purely a matter of luck finding them in stock, if only from on line vendors?

I specified on line vendors as last year only two stores (Cabela's or BP) anywhere near my home I was aware of has ever had 12ga 3.5" WLBXR shells available OTC or as was the case with my last ones I bought last year I had to order them on line then were delivered to Cabela's. Prior to ordering them OL I went 3-4x weekly to that in hopes of buying 12ga 3.5" 2oz #5 WLBXR shells and they never had any in stock when I went there.

I suspect based on common sense that I am correct in saying turkey hunting specific shells are a specialized seasonally produced ammunition that gets made at best once a year to coincide with that given season and most states spring turkey seasons are open and the rest will open within a week or two again IMO, signaling the end to turkey shell production.

Having said that am I correct in my belief that from a financial stance given the current ammunition situation that Winchester has been IMO, obviously sacrificing the production of a lesser profitable seasonal ammunition like their WLBXR shells (they very well could make more than they could sell) in favor of far more profitable and popular HG and CR rifle ammunition they currently can't make enough of. I also suspect Winchester meeting their contractual commitments to military and law enforcement is likely a factor as to what ammo types they produce the most of.

So my question is am I correct in thinking we will see very little if any more Winchester Long Beard XR shells made available for sale in 2022?   

Asking as if this as I suspect is the truth, it will give me more justification to begin reloading my own TSS shells because the availability of turkey specific ammunition's was this year at least within 50 miles of my home as well as on line was considerably worse VS last year which gives me concern it my be worse next year. 

As I posted in a previous thread a friend of mine who use to reload his own waterfowl shells has sold me all of his 12ga reloading equipment. About all I need now is TSS reloading data, TSS, new 3" hulls, under wads, shot cups, shot cards, and Mylar wraps. He even had a roll crimp tool, roll crimp base and jaws.

So as my gut instinct tells , is turkey specific shell production especially 12ga 3.5" WLBXR shells essentially done for 2022 or can we expect to see more ammo available be it on line or OTC?

USMC0331

Probably will not see anymore for this year. Finding reloading stuff is tuff as well. Hope you can find what you need.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

runngun

Time to roll your own!!! You can definitely do it, and do it better.  Just have to find all of the stuff!

Have a good one
          Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

lowoctane

:morning:
Interesting and shared opinions my friend. Corporate America really does make me sick most times and in this situation, grossly nauseated. But, in the same thought process, I believe that it opens the door for another company to fill that niche. I'm quite sure that there are many of us turkey hunters that will not bend to the market pressure of TSS only and will happily welcome new blood in the ammunition game perpetrated on us. Personally, I say "phooey" on Winchester on their lack of allegiance to we mortal consumers!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Mr.Jackson

I've searched everywhere for LB XR with no luck and it's super frustrating.I'm gonna buy a couple off my family in hopes to fill my tag.But it really shouldn't be this hard to find turkey ammo.

DMTJAGER

I have literally searched for WLBXR's every day for over two months now and THE ONLY place I found any 12ga 3.5" 2oz #5 shot was at Gunbroker and shockingly enough the price with tax & shipping wasn't bad and I bought a bunch.

Found a decent amount of 12ga 3" shells but no 3.5" 

I have found a goodly amount of the out of production Winchester Supreme Turkey shells at GB and current production Winchester XX turkey shells at GB and other places but none give me the patterns the WLBXR's do at all ranges.

And yes I am going to roll my own I have all spring summer and fall to acquire the few items I need like shot, hulls, wads, shot cups over shot cards.

Thanks for the replies.

Izzyjoe

Shotgun primers around here are nonexistent, actually I found some for $20 per 100. Guess I don't need them that bad. Last deer season a friend couldn't get any either, so I broke down some old shells for the primer for his in-line ML. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Mr.Jackson

Just got off the phone with my local field and stream.They said they have a couple boxes of LBXR in 3 1/2 #4's.Not crazy about #4's but I think I'll go buy them.Since this shortage may last another year.

Matt76cmich

I stocked up on 12ga 3" #5 when I saw it at the local Dunhams.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mr.Jackson

I got a tip that a small gun shop about a hour away had a bunch.So I ran up there and bought 7 boxes of 3 inch #5.I'm good to go now. ;D

Izzyjoe

Good score, I've heard of folks complaining about the LB's, but I've personally never had no issues. But I did stock up on them when they first hit the market, so I'll be good for a few years. The way my luck is going though , they'll longer than I'm expecting!

DMTJAGER

I did on one occasion get two oddly shaped patterns I had no explanation for I discussed here, and I have experienced a minimal degree of pattern POI variance but not significant enough to affect on game hunting performance but those been the only issues I have ever had with WLBXR shells.

I have shot dedicated turkey shells (four different Winchester types) from Winchester, Federal, Remington, Hornady, Kent and Active and none ever even came close to equaling the pattern performance of the three best performing Winchester turkey shells (Winchester XX Supremes, HTL and WLBXR's) and especially my two favorite Winchester shells the discontinued Winchester HTL shells and WLBXR's.

My typical 40 yard pattern results with 12ga 3" 2oz #5's WLBXR's  are 220-230 #5's in a 10" circle using a Carlson's WLBXR .665" choke.
To my significant dismay I get my best ever patterns using 12ga 3.5" WLBXR 2-1/8oz #5's but I have been given the impression Winchester stopped producing these and I am doen to my last 10.

Izzyjoe

LB's are impressive for lead loads, I'm just waiting for someone to figure out the resin recipe , and start some handload long beards, I would love to experiment with some 7.5 hard shot loads, may not be worth it, but be fun.