Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Finally got it done!

Started by Spellnj3, April 19, 2022, 08:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellnj3

This is the famous first ridge-second ridge bird Ive been chasing for the past week.   Turns out the other day when I heard a gun shot he must have missed him because he was roosted at the same spot just over the first ridge.   Set up a little closer than I wanted but we were stuck in a bad position bordering a power line.   We set up in some briars just on the edge and he flew down into the woods to my left instead of into the power line field.   After about 10 minutes I can hear him spitting and drumming, then I can see the top of a fan and he's coming.   Took him another couple minutes to get into a clear shot and bang!!   He's down.   Might be the biggest bird I've ever shot!

22lbs 1 oz
11 1/2 inch beard
1 - 1/16 spurs.

Off to work....pictures coming soon from my phone.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Spellnj3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacire

It sounds like you set up perfectly and he came right in, congratulations on a nice big bird.

Muzzy61

JeffC

Way to go Steve, "we"? who was your lucky charm today??  Are you going to try and mount it? Congrats again.

HillclimberWV

Beautiful bird. I would at least mount that fan even if you dont do the whole bird.

Tom007

Great story, way to go. Congrats....
"Solo hunter"

Spellnj3

Quote from: JeffC on April 19, 2022, 11:12:42 AM
Way to go Steve, "we"? who was your lucky charm today??  Are you going to try and mount it? Congrats again.

I think the lucky charm is my hat.   I stopped wearing it last week...put it back on today and bang!!

I'm definitely mourning this one full strut gobbling!