OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel/Front Sight in FOV with Reflex Sight  (Read 1598 times)

Offline TalknTurkey

Barrel/Front Sight in FOV with Reflex Sight
« on: April 18, 2022, 12:01:37 PM »
I just finished up my build for my next turkey gun. I wanted as low profile as I could get, so I went with the Scalarworks mount. After mounting my reflex sight, I realized the barrel and the front sight occupy the field of view when looking through the reflex. I don't know why, but I hadn't really considered this. I assume it's just the result of going ultra low profile. I tried moving my head position around to see if changing the drop/cast or LOP would make any difference, but it didn't seem to matter. Is the only way to get the barrel out of the sight picture to go with a higher mount?

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Barrel/Front Sight in FOV with Reflex Sight
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 12:40:52 PM »
Rib mount.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 04:06:24 PM »
What gun you running the Scalarworks on? I have one on a Benelli M1 Steady Grip, and 2 on Mossberg 835's with no issue as the dot sits perfectly about 1/4" above front bead after getting guns sighted in.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 04:22:10 PM »
What gun you running the Scalarworks on? I have one on a Benelli M1 Steady Grip, and 2 on Mossberg 835's with no issue as the dot sits perfectly about 1/4" above front bead after getting guns sighted in.

Ridge Rooster

If your gun and sights allow this I think this is the best way to set up a red dot. The red dot is cowitnessed with the front bead. If the red dot fails you can still see and use your bead.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 05:13:14 PM »
I'm running a Trijicon SRO on a Franchi Affinity 20ga Compact. It does sit above the front sight, I guess I just wasn't expecting part of barrel and the front bead to in the sight picture when looking through the reflex. It's less cluttered if I remove the front sight, but I can't seem to find any type of screw or plug online to put in the hole where the front sight was. The hole is smaller than the 8-40 holes in the receiver for the scope mount as I tried to use the plugs I took out and they are too big. From what I found online, the right size is 2.5-0.45 but I don't see any type of plugs of that size.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 03:10:51 AM »
I'm running a Trijicon SRO on a Franchi Affinity 20ga Compact. It does sit above the front sight, I guess I just wasn't expecting part of barrel and the front bead to in the sight picture when looking through the reflex. It's less cluttered if I remove the front sight, but I can't seem to find any type of screw or plug online to put in the hole where the front sight was. The hole is smaller than the 8-40 holes in the receiver for the scope mount as I tried to use the plugs I took out and they are too big. From what I found online, the right size is 2.5-0.45 but I don't see any type of plugs of that size.

E-bay $2.28 for two with free shipping. Link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293640347729
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
In my opinion co-witnessing is fine for a pistol , but I don't like it for a turkey gun. I had that problem and it just takes up too much of your view, in my opinion that's not what you want a red dot to do on a turkey gun.. With a red dot you pretty much don't want any restriction.

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »

E-bay $2.28 for two with free shipping. Link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293640347729
Just wanted to follow up and say “Thanks” for the link. I ordered them and those were indeed the correct size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk