OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Glenda Green Satchel?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Herschel34

Glenda Green Satchel?
« on: April 17, 2022, 05:58:37 PM »
Just curious for those of you using one of her satchels, how do you put your box calls in the satchel pockets and keep them from squeaking when you walk? I’ve used a different satchel before and was able to fit a leather box call holster inside the pocket of the satchel to keep them quiet. Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Re: Glenda Green Satchel?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 06:02:34 PM »
Just curious for those of you using one of her satchels, how do you put your box calls in the satchel pockets and keep them from squeaking when you walk? I’ve used a different satchel before and was able to fit a leather box call holster inside the pocket of the satchel to keep them quiet. Thanks for any suggestions.
Put a rubber band around them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Herschel34

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 07:01:59 PM »
Should’ve mentioned I’ve used rubber bands in the past, but still get some squeaking. Just don’t like it when I’m trying to move quiet in the woods. Didn’t know if anyone has tried using her box call pouches when using her satchels?

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 11:51:40 PM »
I always put a block between the lid and box with a rubber band to keep it quiet. That's every day common sense no matter how you carry a box call. There's aftermarket things  but just put a notched stick between the paddle and the call surface.

Offline RLAG

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 09:03:51 AM »
You can take a piece of paper, trim it to size and keep it between the lid and body with the rubber band around it. That'll keep it from shifting around and squeaking

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 11:08:06 AM »
I use a couple different things, but one thing I’ve done is use those thick hair ties and double them once below the lid and once above. Don’t make a sound and you can buy a pile for a dollar or so at Walmart. Good to keep two piece fishing rods together too. That’s why I initially had so many and what gave me the idea.

Offline Uncle Tom

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
I put a piece of soft blue shop towel under paddle, take a black piece of elastic and a thumb tack and attach to bottom of the call then pull elastic over end of the handle....keeps handle tight against the box and cannot make any noise at all. When ready to work the call, just slip the elastic off the handle, put elastic back on handle when you lay it down.....never accidentally making a sound done this way.

Offline quackaddict

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 03:56:18 PM »
Usually just put a folded up piece of paper towel between the rails and the lid. I used to rubber band it too, but in the satchel it isn't necessary.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Offline Herschel34

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 08:49:33 PM »
I’ve used a satchel from Brossie the past few years and the pockets are big enough to actually fit a leather box call holster in the pocket. This is a very snug fit that keeps the call quiet, but also allows it to be removed easily for use. It works very well. The satchels from Glenda Green are a much nicer construction but the pockets are a little smaller than the Brossie pockets. So, they won’t accommodate a box call holster. I’m going to try Glenda’s box call cases and see if that works.  I’ve used rubber bands and hair bands in the past, but I much prefer sliding in/out of a snug holster that fits well in the satchel. Much easier to use on the fly. Thanks for the feedback!!

Offline Missed mallards

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 04:42:26 PM »
Get an old huggie, beer coozie, whatever you call them. A soft one. Cut bottom out.

Keep plenty of chalk on hand.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »
I've used these in the past, but don't really like how it messes with my chalked lid.
Does keep them quiet though.
Now mostly just a heavy double or triple wound rubber band, doesn't get put under the lid.

https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Hunting-66907-Lock-Call/dp/B0075D2S2S

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 06:21:33 PM »
Hair ties, like Chester showed in the pics. Keeps them silent in the vest pocket.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »
Get some paracord and make silencers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
     Yeah, I'm with Hfultzjr. I don't like anything touching the bottom of the lids. I just double wrap the right size rubber bands and never had a problem with inadvertent noises.
     But I dont hunt with a satchel. I have snug, dedicated boxcall pockets in my ultra modified Ol' Tom vest. Every year I modify it just a little more, maybe in ten more years it'll be perfect, lol!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 09:14:57 PM »
Knight & Hale once sold a Velcro silencer that I still use.  If they don’t still make one, one would be easy to make with Velcro and a utility knife.  Mine is sweet, easy to use and very effective.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game