OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: When do y’all get serous about scout?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: When do y’all get serous about scout?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 03:43:32 PM »
I’m always on the look out. Mid March is when I really start tracking around looking.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 03:48:37 PM »
General scouting starts in March for me up north, start to get more serious mid-March, and it's on last week of March. I'll have 25 some Gobblers located by this time, scouting continues right through to the end of season.

Scout, Scout, Scout

MK M GOBL

Offline Lone Star Eastern

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 06:48:43 PM »
General scouting starts in March for me up north, start to get more serious mid-March, and it's on last week of March. I'll have 25 some Gobblers located by this time, scouting continues right through to the end of season.

Scout, Scout, Scout

MK M GOBL
Shoot that’d be nice. We don’t have the luxury here in ETX. At least not on the public land I’ll be on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 12:13:10 AM »
We don’t have the luxury here in ETX. At least not on the public land I’ll be on.

From what I hear, public land in east Texas is a pretty tough place to hunt.  Good luck!

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 07:54:59 AM »
I'll cover ground in February to find sign, roosts, and where birds are spending time (and look for shed antlers).  I also look for downed limbs with leaves on them to add to the low brush blinds on the private land I hunt.  There are places turkeys consistently move through and I like to have a bit of cover there ahead of time, so I can get out ahead of them and be set.

By mid-March, I spend more time listening from high ground and watching favored areas with binoculars to see which gobblers are using what areas.  I fine tune early season hunting locations from there.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 08:57:11 PM »
I don't scout.  I don't Roost birds.  I believe every time I go in the woods there will be turkeys.
Sometimes I'm wrong.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :toothy12:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 03:15:41 AM »
I start looking for winter flocks in Feb, by March it intensifies. I’ve got video of birds strutting, gobbling for weeks already.  It has again now slowed some. Throughout March until season starts I’ll keep tabs on these big flocks. As they break up into smaller breeding flocks I know where to concentrate. It’s gotten tough around here. Not as many birds as once was so knowing where to try is important. Even when there were lots of birds that was my method. Some guys wait til last second but there’s no guarantee they’d gobble just before season around this area,  so that would be a possibly limited chance at gaining info.

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »
Once it starts hitting 50F, I'm out every day I can make it. 

I spend from 1 March to the Opener in mid-April  out with my  umbrella mic trying to record sound for my podcasts.  I do everything I can to stay concealed from the turkeys.   However, the occasional busts don't seem to scare them much.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 09:44:10 PM »
For me at least, the need for scouting, and the amount of time needed for it, is basically a function of three things: 
1) How well I know the property or area I am hunting and the habits of the turkeys that reside there.
2) How much country I am possibly looking at hunting.
3) The density and distribution of the turkey population.

For the properties/areas that fit #1, if I scout at all, it is usually just because I want to confirm that the turkeys are where they usually are,...as well as have an excuse to get out in the woods.

Depending on the circumstances relating to #2 and #3, the bigger the area and the lower the turkey numbers, the more scouting I want to do.   There is no substitute for knowing as many locations that have turkeys as you can before opening day, and especially on public land where you may have to continue to move to find less competition and less-pressured birds. Trying to identify those places after the shooting starts makes that process a lot more complicated. 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 07:04:40 AM »
You know Gobblenut brought up a good point. If you had one or two areas that were controlled and all you hunted you def could shorten this. In areas where you have competition you do need as many located as possible