OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: .410's day out.....  (Read 442 times)

Offline The Heartbreak Kid.......

• 2022 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Roosted ain't Roasted............
.410's day out.....
« on: April 16, 2022, 04:50:24 PM »
I went today and did some sighting in and patterning with 3 of my .410's. I only have access to Federal Tss #9. The guns I shot were ....I ran a bore snake through 2 times after each shot for all guns.

-Cva Scout/jebs/red-green dot

-Mossberg 500/stock xfull/reflex

-Rem 870 tss/stock xfull/truglo peep sight

I shot my guns at 12 yards with 2.5" #8's to get the red dot and reflex sight "close".

I shot the Rem 870 tss at 12 yards with a red dot but for some reason,my battery was very dim, so I grew real tired of that quickly and took it off, and I shot the truglo peep sight that comes stock on gun, I never had to adjust it, until I shot at 40 yards and I was high, so I adjusted it down a tad.

I took 3 boxes of Federal tss #9's with me just in case, I had a nightmare to get guns dialed in, I had to fire 4 from the mossberg 500 .410 to get it correct, as it shot really high at 40 yards, but I am happy at 40 yards, this gun patterns very well with this shell and stock choke,way more than I would need to 45 yards, I didn't and wont count pellets. I adjusted all my guns a little after I shot the last time. I was not touching off more tss,when I don't need too, as It's damn near impossible to find any up here, yet I came across the Federal tss #9 in .410?...I bought 6 boxes when I got home, just before this post, 6 boxes,taxes and shipping cost me......

Federal Premium Heavyweight TSS .410ga/3" #9 Tungston Box/5

BOX 5
6   $ 47.95   $ 287.70
Subtotal   $ 336.11
Shipping method ( Purolator)   $ 48.41
Sales Tax   $ 43.69
Total   $ 379.80

I think I bought the last 6, but I don't care, I'll have it for my guns when they become legal to use,hopefully next season, or two.

I ended up firing 9 tss shells from 3 guns, I still have 6 shells, and 6 boxes on the way.

I am not a numbers guy, I am not a tinkerer if I find a shell,choke and pattern I can kill with, and I am confident with. I have to say after everything I read I figured, I may as well throw these shells away but all 3 guns would kill gobblers to 40-45 yards with stock chokes and these shells. I am sure if I could find other shells,I would test but I am confident in these guns and these setups.

I only shot at 40 yards with all 3 guns, I did shoot 1 tss shell from the rem 870 at 25 yards and it was the size of a softball, a little bigger.

I am extremely happy with all 3 guns, I don't have a favorite and I still have a stevens 301 .410 that I bought as well in bottomland,but I'll wait to shoot that and set it up,maybe next spring.

I tried to get good pictures,hard to see, the Rem is a little high,the Mossberg a little to right,I adjusted these after I shot, these are all at 40 yards. There is probably a magic shell out there that would be better, but I have the confidence in all 3 to hunt and kill with no issues when I can legally use these. I am sticking with it.

I was very much surprised they patterned this well. I have seen better online,but for being the only shell, I can find, and with stock chokes. I enjoyed my afternoon shooting these little guns, I also shot a few 20's and a 12 gauge after I was done.

I will set these aside and concentrate on my last 3 guns to finish patterning next saturday, and then season starts on Monday the 25th.

Enjoy the spring woods, I am going too!!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 05:12:39 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »
You don’t hunt turkeys because you want to; you hunt turkeys because you have to.

—Tom Kelly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCKml9Mk5SY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIuAQPKp4x0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fk546kuEGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRKnT4gJtLo

Bocephus, the King of Kings!!!!