OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey Review  (Read 7904 times)

Offline tmcguire

Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey Review
« on: April 15, 2022, 07:15:13 AM »
Hey guys,

Really not much out there yet on this gun besides convention videos. So I made a quick review. Overall this is a great gun and will be my primary turkey slayer going forward. The machined receiver for            an optic is awesome and I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

https://youtu.be/QHLBF6WLd28

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey Review
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
Thanks for the review

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the review. I hope they come out with a 20 soon.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Online FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 01:33:34 PM »
 I hope they come out with the 940 in a 20GA. They have the SA-20 turkey.. I have one...but it's not the quality of that 940

Offline tmcguire

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
Tom -  does the HOLOSUN sight fit perfectly down in the "notch" of that new 940?  Also.. does the sight have auto shut off like the Burris FF3?  looks like it is 2 MOA... not 3 MOA.    One more thing.. it looks like the stock of the gun has spacers you can remove to shorten the LOP?    I have 6 turkey guns already... maybe need another!

Fl Boss, I keep getting an error message when I try to reply to your PM. So just replying here... hope you don't mind.

Yes it does, per Mossberg they actually designed the notch specifically for the Holosun, although others will fit that have the same mounting pattern. It shuts off after 10min of no movement, but turns back on at the slightest movement. It is 2 MOA, and you also have the option of changing the reticle to the 2 MOA dot with a 32 MOA circle around it. I actually preferred just the 2 MOA dot, for me it's actually better than my 3 MOA FF3 as it allows me to be more precise at the longer ranges. If it was too small for you, you can always increase the brightness and then is "appears" bigger, but I have not had that problem. Yep tons of adjustability in the stock. And I am a crazy turkey hunter that tends to buy the newest stuff every year just to see if it's any better. I have had probably 8 different dedicated turkey guns. I honestly see no reason to ever upgrade from this gun... but we'll see  ;D

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 04:25:53 PM »
Thanks for posting your review. I like these, just wish they would have made them with the 3.5 chamber.

Online Bridger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks for doing your review.  I'm considering buying one of these bad boys.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 07:11:09 PM »
I bet they have a 20 gauge version, or maybe even 2 next year,one with a 18-20" and one with a 24" or, maybe a 22"

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 10:00:53 PM »
I'm loving the 940 Pro Turkey this year. I got mine in 18.5" and it's been incredible. It is RSMc optic pattern ready, factory recommends the Shield sight actually, not the Holosun, but at all the shows where the gun has been previewed in the Mossberg booth it has had Holosun's on them, most have been 407k's. There's two Holsoun's that will fit right out of the box, the 407k and 507k. The 407k is a little cheaper and has a 6 MOA dot, the 507k is the 2 MOA dot / 32 MOA circle with adjustments as already explained. I elected for the 507k and think the 2/32 feels very good to my eye holding on a turkeys caruncles at 25 yards.

I've called for buddies already and let them shoot it as well and everyone that's touched the thing wants one for themselves. If the 18.5" is too short for someone personally the 24" will be perfect for them.

Offline tmcguire

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 11:27:18 PM »
Same here. Everyone that’s held this gun wants it. Only negative I can find with it really is the 3” chamber. It would be nice to be able to throw some 3.5” lead in it if in a pinch.

I just bit the bullet and bought a several year supply of Tungsten, but it was tough selling my first born to pay for it.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 06:48:26 AM »
Yep! I agree. They just barely missed the boat by not chambering the 12 gauges in 3.5" and not making a 20 gauge as well. Nonetheless they still came out with a very fine firearm that hopefully they continue to improve and expand this line of 940 shotguns.

The only flaw that I have found is that when you load two shells into the tube on an empty chamber, and then try to chamber a round by working the action to stick a third round into the tube, that does not work. It is a design flaw for a hunting shotgun that was made to be in place for competition shooting. With an empty chamber the feed ramps locks upward and allows the spring to not just feed one shell, but dump the entire tube. When trying to load from empty by working the action in a hunting application, you'll double feed the load ramp and jam the gun. This forces you to load a round into the chamber and then the two into the tube, it really isn't a huge issue at all, just the muscle memory I have of two in tube, work action, third in tube, I've had to break that habit when carrying this gun.

Online FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 07:11:42 AM »
Seems since TSS,  most guys that run 12GA that have 3.5  chambers only run 3in anyway?  Seems the 3in shells shoot better in a lot of cases. Not to mention the hell you go through in shooting 3.5in cannon loads....

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 07:46:57 AM »
Seems since TSS,  most guys that run 12GA that have 3.5  chambers only run 3in anyway?  Seems the 3in shells shoot better in a lot of cases. Not to mention the hell you go through in shooting 3.5in cannon loads....

I’ve got an older 870 SM that will handle a 3.5 but it seems to like the 3” round better than the big boy, and that’s ok with me and my shoulder!  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline tmcguire

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
Agreed, with TSS this gun is perfect and no need for the 3.5”. My only concern is skyrocketing TSS prices and availability in the future. We need more companies to start making TSS shot… and I may need to start loading my own. My latest purchase of Tungsten was $15 a round. Which is wild! I went through almost $200 at the range with this gun between initial site in and patterning at different ranges. Hell I’m running the stock choke (which seems to work fine) purely because of cost and availability of tungsten. I’ll pay it for the performance, but if that price keeps going up… there will eventually be a point I can’t justify pulling the trigger when lead is readily available.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 08:13:18 AM »
Agreed, with TSS this gun is perfect and no need for the 3.5”. My only concern is skyrocketing TSS prices and availability in the future. We need more companies to start making TSS shot… and I may need to start loading my own. My latest purchase of Tungsten was $15 a round. Which is wild! I went through almost $200 at the range with this gun between initial site in and patterning at different ranges. Hell I’m running the stock choke (which seems to work fine) purely because of cost and availability of tungsten. I’ll pay it for the performance, but if that price keeps going up… there will eventually be a point I can’t justify pulling the trigger when lead is readily available.
I put my factory choke against a Carlson's LBXR .660 and Indian Creek .660, both the aftermarket chokes outperformed the factory, but the factory would still kill turkeys. I did initial pattern/sight in with LBXR 3" 5's while my Apex loads were on order, and the stock choke was probably only good to about 35 yards. The Carlson's and Indian Creek both were extremely impressive sub 30 and would kill easily in the 45-50 range still, but the Indian Creek was superior for sure. More even spread at 25, without clustering, and still held good at 50. I ran an Apex through the Indian Creek after they came in and I ain't changing a thing. I'll shoot the LBXR's should I not be able to source or afford the TSS as well, but the difference in patterns is very stark.