OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: UUUUUHHHHGGGGG. soo close  (Read 858 times)

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
UUUUUHHHHGGGGG. soo close
« on: April 14, 2022, 08:37:12 AM »
Went out this morning, I said earlier in the week "I'm going to go to the 2nd ridge and wait to hear something right???   Well I stopped short of the ridge and waited and I was in between 2 flocks.   There was a gobbler to my right ( On top of the ridge I was supposed to be on).  and two jakes and 4 hens to my left.    So after the jakes flew down 20 yards win front of me and walked off I decided to go to the rigde I was supposed to be on.   Sure enough this guy is hammering and hammering just over the ridge.   I get as close as I can on my stomach and wait.   YEs coming closer and closer and closer with every gobble.   BUT doesn't come to the top.   He stops just short of the top less than 30 yards.   The next thing I know he gobbles way to my right going away from me.     :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9: :angry9:

Man I am so upset.   less than 30 yards and he doesn't come to the top of the hill.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: UUUUUHHHHGGGGG. soo close
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 08:37:55 AM »
I'm going back tomorrow to the 2nd ridge and shooting him in the face!   I can't take it any more

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 09:08:07 AM »
Take 1 of the kids, they are your good luck charms!. But seriously, leave 1 of the kids back 30 yds, soft calling and scratching, bring him right into you. Good luck Steve, your in the game, 3rd times the charm..

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 09:21:38 AM »
Hang in there and stay after him

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 10:21:33 AM »
  :morning:
Sounds like an exciting morning even if you didn’t get a shot, better on a ridge than in bed.

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 07:20:23 PM »
I checked another spot around 10 and had 4 birds in a field.  I belly crawled to the edge and put up my Jake fan and 3 jakes came within 8 steps of me....sooo tempting but I'm holding out for a Longbeard!!