OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Joined the .410 game

Started by quackaddict, February 05, 2022, 01:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RED NECK

How do you like your gun? I am having a hard time deciding on a .410, I can get this one or the Remington tss.410 and am leaning towards the mossberg but there is not really a lot of info on either....I like both options.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: quackaddict on February 08, 2022, 08:58:41 PM
Also be warned...non-chlorinated brake cleaner will pull the dipped finish off. Never had that problem before, but maybe this finish is a little different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had that happen before...

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

quackaddict

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on March 01, 2022, 10:10:12 PM
How do you like your gun? I am having a hard time deciding on a .410, I can get this one or the Remington tss.410 and am leaning towards the mossberg but there is not really a lot of info on either....I like both options.
Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Never been a fan of a Mossberg pump(I don't like how many moving parts are in the action. Grew up a Wingmaster lover) but this gun isn't going to get shot a lot. After I tore it down and cleaned everything good, the action has smoothed out some. But it's still a Mossberg. And the camo finish is pretty weak. It can always be re-dipped at some point if need be, I guess. I do like the thumb safety and the size of the gun. I'm a shorter guy at around 5'9" on a good day, and the size is great for a turkey gun.

Of course, the newer Remingtons aren't exactly stellar compared to what they used to be.

If there had been a Remington beside this Mossberg, I would have probably walked out with the Remington just because that's what I'm used to if I'm being honest.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

RED NECK

I always liked remington pumps more because I never bought a mossberg until a few years back, and I actually have been fairly happy with the 4 I have,the one thing that I like is the safety because I am a southpaw and I shot a bps for my whole life. I have found that for me, that mossbergs seem to pattern as well or better than my remingtons. I was never a "fan" of either company but have come to the conclusion that they build solid turkey hunting guns.

The price difference is $845(remington) to $649 (mossberg) in Canadian, yes we get it stuck to us from our libturd government.

I also like the mossberg 500 has sling attachments while Id have to get a different sling for the remington but I also like that the remington has the peep sight already with gun. I'll make my decision this week, we are not even allowed to use shot smaller than # 7 in a 20 gauge yet, so I could be retired(42) or dead by time Ontario(if ever) legalizies .410's for turkey hunting. But I can use it to hunt grouse and I could possibly take it on turkey hunting trips to the USA the next few years, I can't even find .410 tss shells up here.

I hope yours shoots well and patterns for you fairly easy, from what I have read, test stock turkey choke for sure....Good luck.

RED NECK

Wow, I found some Federal .410 tss #9's, $47.95 for 5. I think I may order 4 boxes and the mossberg 500 .410 this week, then I have the shells at least. I am not sure the remington is worth the extra money to be fair, I know it isnt.

quackaddict

Finally got a chance to shoot some paper this evening. I'm happy with it. I'm sure I could play around with chokes and loads(and I actually do have a buddy hand rolling me some 9.5s), but this was stock choke, dirty barrel, and Apex Ninja 9.5s. Range-finder yardage.

30 yards - 244 in the 10"

35 yards - 173 in the 10"

40 yards - 130 in the 10"

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

squirrel_hunter

I have the same gun.
Mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun
Mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun.
Both are set up with Indian Creek. 385. Ninja TSS 9.5 shot.  The carlson tss choke pattern good too. Both have reflex red dots on them.  Havent shot the factory turkey choke yet. I first bought the mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun for squirrel hunting.  But set it up has a turkey gun.  Bought a new Tristar G2 Viper 28ga for squirrel hunting.

superx2

Quote from: quackaddict on March 25, 2022, 10:59:28 PM
Finally got a chance to shoot some paper this evening. I'm happy with it. I'm sure I could play around with chokes and loads(and I actually do have a buddy hand rolling me some 9.5s), but this was stock choke, dirty barrel, and Apex Ninja 9.5s. Range-finder yardage.

30 yards - 244 in the 10"

35 yards - 173 in the 10"

40 yards - 130 in the 10"

Thanks for the update
thats dead bird

quackaddict

Had a friend hand roll me some 9.5s and shot one this evening to make sure POI was the same as the Ninjas I sighted in with. I pulled the shot and called it low & left before walking to the target, so I'd say they shoot the same POI.

Only shot one and it was at 35 yards, but a pretty significant jump in pellet count. Ninjas shot 173 and these shot 196.

squirrel_hunter

I have one i bought last yr. I am running IC .385. I never checked the barrel to see if its 26 inches long. I hope mine is 24 inchs. I use it for squirrel hunting too. I think mine is a 26. I have the mossberg sa-410 to match it.