Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

First Turkey Alert!!!!

Started by turkey harvester, April 11, 2022, 09:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey harvester

Got back from a school trip saturday evening. Decided to recruit Huck to help me on a youth hunt at my brothers area. Got to our first spot and heard absolutely zero gobbles. We were hunting private land and we know theres birds on it but nothing was talking. Windy as all get out too. Both of our young hunters were getting restless and loosing confidence so we decided to hit another farm down the road and try to find something vocal. Got out of the truck and heard a gobble so off across a field we went to go find them. Got back there and the gobble we heard was on the neighbors property. We had heard another bird goin in but he turned tight lipped. We sat for a little bit and was trying to figure out a game plan cause one boy was having a bday party later that day. We walked to a field edge and we see a hen bout 200 yards off. I called to her and she was looking at us and we heard another hen respond just over hump in the field. 3 hens and a gobbler were heading to the single hen. Now all the birds are in a big pretty green field. I'm like this is gonna be tough to pull off. I get my strutter decoy and hold it up and start fighting purring and he stands nd looks our way. 1 of the hens broke and was walking right to us. We are scrambling to get the boys in position and they are closing on us fast. Huck is laying on his belly calling, I'm holding a decoy up so the bird can see it through the fenceline brush, my brother has my youngest nephew ready with his 410.  After huck and I got done calling he was standing at 35 yards staring at the decoy I'm still holding cause I cant move. I can see the birds eyes and tell them if you want it you better be shooting. We seen it was a heavy jake standing there but Baylor didn't care, it was a gobbler. He laid the smack down on him!!! This hunt went from zero to 100mph in 5 minutes. Was an awesome day to be in the woods with my nephews. The oldest didnt get one but he'll hunt with us during regular season too.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

turkey harvester

Another one, pics aint the best
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

Mathews.1

Turkeyman

fmf

JeffC

Congrats to the young man, and thanks to you and all the mentors for your time to take the young men out. That bird looks as big as him, great picture.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Huckleberry91

Was an awesome morning to be in the woods, weather didn't cooperate and neither did the birds but we scratched one out for him, I believe hes hooked now! i appreciate TH toting me along memories ill always cherish that's for certain!

dzsmith

"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

bornagain64

wvhoyt19

Fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk