OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can I improve my results or not

Started by DMTJAGER, April 18, 2022, 05:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

Firstly my apologies for not posting a picture of a pattern. I forgot my phone that day and didn't think to save one and photograph it once home.
Shooting a Benelli Supernova using 12ga 3.5" WLNXR's 2oz #5's. Using a Carlson's .650" WLBXR choke.
24" Benelli factory vent ribbed barrel topped with a Swampfox Kingslayer.
After confirming 100% gun hits to POA I use a life sized turkey target complete with (hopefully) anatomically correct representation of a turkey's brain and spinal column, draw a 10" circle with where the waddles meat the feathers at the center and my POA and shoot five shells at the target

Range conditions were near perfect. Shot from a bench with gun in a front rest and rear sandbags. Target was on a 36"x36" sheet of contractor paper backing. All five patterns were well centered. With 12ga 3.5" WLBXR shells not available for sale anywhere I know of I can't shoot that many more this year for the sake of testing as I already shot way more than I would have had I known they were going to be none available for sale OTC near me and save for ONE place none FS on line.

Fired 10 shells prior but did run a 10ga phos/bronze brush fallowed by one patch wetted with action cleaner fallowed by one dry patch between all shots including all test shots.

I took the average of five shots at 45 yards and my results were:
Average of 138 pellets in a 10" circle roughly 37% of the payload
Average of 15 pellets in the head area
Average 8 pellets in the brain
Average of 23 pellets in the neck area

First I would appreciate opinions if this is a poor, good, VG or excellent pattern for this gun, choke and load.
Second can this pattern be improved with the purchase of a different choke as based on raved reviews here, I am leaning towards a Sumtoy .650 choke.

I have already tried one other AM choke as well as the Benelli factory XF choke but the Carlson's gave the best patterns. At $50-$70 each I would like to avoid buying any more chokes unless they stand a reasonable chance of improving my pattern enough to justify the cost.

Lastly shot at 45 VS 40 because my 40 yard patterns were putting over 50% (almost 200) of my pellets in a 10" circle.

Thanks to all for your time and sharing your experience with me.

Kygobblergetter

I wouldn't look to change that a bit. Getting over 200 in the ten inch circle at 40 yards with a lead load I would consider very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMTJAGER

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on April 18, 2022, 06:50:54 PM
I wouldn't look to change that a bit. Getting over 200 in the ten inch circle at 40 yards with a lead load I would consider very good

Greatest of thanks for the reply.

I was concerned that there might be room for improvement as I was rather surprised that my percent of pellets in a 10" circle dropped from over 50% at 40 to 40% at 45.

Again thank you for your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for their replies.