OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shotgun for my 18 Year Old Son?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline BDeal

Shotgun for my 18 Year Old Son?
« on: April 09, 2022, 07:57:46 PM »
I am looking to buy my son a 12 gauge. Likely a pump with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I would like it to be all camo and trying to keep it at $500 or less. I'm considering the Winchester SXP. I would normally get a Remington 870 but my understanding is that they aren't making them at the moment. The gun will be used for both turkey and waterfowl. Any suggestions?

Thank You!!

Offline Gmed

Re: Shotgun for my 18 Year Old Son?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
If he is going to use it for wing shooting as well as turkey hunting, I would opt for the 26” barrel over the 24”. If strictly for turkey, then go with the 24”. Longer barrels tend to swing better and smoother for wing shooting. Look at the Benelli Nova. They have camo models and in your price range. Remington is back producing the 870s. They are matte blue finished, but you could always have one hydro dipped in the camo of your choice later on in order to remain in your budget.

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 06:41:10 AM »
If he is going to use it for wing shooting as well as turkey hunting, I would opt for the 26” barrel over the 24”. If strictly for turkey, then go with the 24”. Longer barrels tend to swing better and smoother for wing shooting. Look at the Benelli Nova. They have camo models and in your price range. Remington is back producing the 870s. They are matte blue finished, but you could always have one hydro dipped in the camo of your choice later on in order to remain in your budget.

:morning:
It’s my understanding the newly manufactured 870’s are nicely made once again. Of course the Nova is an excellent choice in this price range as well.  :camohat:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline BDeal

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 10:50:56 AM »
My only hesitation with the Nova is that is heavy.

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
Might take a look at Mossberg as well, they make them all camo, and are a good bang for the buck.

Offline BDeal

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 01:12:46 PM »
I had a really bad experience with a Mossberg and don't think I could ever buy one again. Probably just a lemon but it was a complete POS. Which model did you like?

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 01:08:08 AM »
I know it's not camo, but I personally own this new 870 12ga 26in barrel shotgun. I liked it soo much that I bought the 870 20ga 21in barrel when it was available. I really think the new owners, Rem Arms, are turning things around and making things right again.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024424485?pid=411462

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 03:53:52 PM by Matt76cmich »

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 03:51:27 PM »
If I were to buy a newly manufactured 870 for Turkey hunting I'd seriously consider a Laminated TH and forearm from Boydes, but I love TH stocks especially on my turkey guns.