OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Little too proud  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Little too proud
« on: April 09, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
Idk bout you all but I’ve had decent luck with grand slams. I’ve actually got a bunch of boxes. I also have lots xx winchesters. I’m always looking to add another box or so just in case. Honestly there’s no birds around here seems anymore anyhow so one she’ll should last years. I was on a notification for midway. I’ve used them a long time and have no problem with them but either midway or federal is kinda ballsy asking 35 bucks for ten lead shells. I’ll shoot them with a bow, load a muzzleloader with nails, strictly mentor or film before you ever catch me paying that much for ten shells. I’m incredulous

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Little too proud
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 10:30:58 PM »
funny you mentioned the muzzleloader. an old guy around use to load his 50 caliber with Daisey BB's. Actually made his own wads out of thick felt. I never witnessed him shoot it but I know a couple fellows that did and said it was something to see.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:34:23 AM »
Don't blame you, $35 for a box is crazy. I was hoping to try that load in 10 gauge, but haven't
seen them anywhere in 2 years or so. I have a good stockpile of ammo, so i'm just going to keep
shooting what i got. Hopeful that production catches up with demand, and prices will stabilize, but with
the crazy inflation that is going on, I don't see ammo going down a whole lot in prices for some time.
Really stinks!

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 12:58:17 PM »
Just bought a box for 20.00 3" 5 shot.
Haven't seen a box of anything 6 shot from K.C. to Wichita. Federal or Winchester

Offline Ches.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 09:47:17 PM »
I got a box of 10 Nitros for $12 and a box of 10 Winchester Double X for $19. I have been looking for Remington 30-06 in 150 gn , finally found a place that had 6 boxes, they wanted $99.99 per box.  Yep, I walked.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 09:41:06 PM »
Federal bird shot 1 5/8 of 6's, 25 for 35$ might very well be the next box of turkey shells I buy.

Offline old3toe

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »
  Our wal mart didn't have any winchester turkey loads this year. I'm stocked up good on the Supremes and double X but usually grab a box or two if I run across them reasonably priced. Ammo prices have been laughable around here period. I'd like to think they'll eventually go back to normal as we used to know but I'm not so sure that'll ever happen again!!

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 09:08:20 PM »
Have a few Federal TSS loads left over. Got them on a gift certificate. Hunting with Grand Slam lead 5’s and 6’s with the flexwad for $21.99 a box of 10.  $13 a shot for TSS I can’t justify.  The turkeys I have shot with TSS were inside 30yds and all it did was increase my chances of missing. Majority of turkeys I shoot are well within 40yds and more like inside 30yds.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:19:37 PM by Longshanks »

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 11:10:59 PM »
Have a few Federal TSS loads left over. Got them on a gift certificate. Hunting with Grand Slam lead 5’s and 6’s with the flexwad for $21.99 a box of 10.  $13 a shot for TSS I can’t justify.  The turkeys I have shot with TSS were inside 30yds and all it did was increase my chances of missing. Majority of turkeys I shoot are well within 40yds and more like inside 30yds.

^ I feel he same.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 07:11:44 AM »
The Federal TSS loads with the Flex wad shoot really well out of the Kicks chokes. I’m hopeful that the lead loads with the Flex wad will as well. Shooting them this weekend to test out of a couple of my lead slingers.
Rem870/ Kicks .655 21” bbl
Rem870/ Kicks . 660 26” bbl

Still have the Hastings .655 and .665 non-ported chokes that came with these barrels when I had the   CT—1 Tru-choke threads done by my Gunsmith. Guess I can try those if the Kicks chokes don’t pattern.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 07:26:37 AM by Longshanks »

Offline Gman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 07:08:40 PM »
Hey, new "old guy" here.  I realize that this thread is from last year but I just wanted to say that I agree that the price of ammo is disgusting. I still shoot copper plated lead in my 12 gauge because it works for me plus I have a decent supply from years past. My dad was a devout spring bird hunter & he passed away in 2013. There is no way that he would ever pay for TSS & to be perfectly honest, I haven't tried or bought any of it yet. I did buy 2 boxes of 20 gauge LB XR's for my Benelli which I'm going to use this year. The 6's patterned better than the 5's out of a Trulock tube by the way. I guess that I'll probably end up purchasing some TSS (for the 20 bore) down the road, but for the time being, its copper plated lead for me.