OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Update and a prayer request  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Update and a prayer request
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:01:00 AM »
First off thanks to all those that prayed for me when I was not sure where I was going to end up living after my landlord died and kids decided to sell the house. I am happy to say that the new landlords have decided to allow me to stay, I am getting rid of the half million cardboard boxes I had amassed in case I had to move and am not trying to figure out where everything go put. I am glad I am staying, I have been here 31 years and did not want to move.

Now for the prayer request. I have been having a lot of problems with walking, the pain in my knees, back and hips are often intense now, especially my knees both of which need to be replaced. I live on the second flood though and would not be able to get in my house so I can't get them replaced until they life all the stupid covid restrictions. Once they do that I can have the knees operated on and recover in the hospital. (I can't wear a mask more than a few minutes due to claustrophobia or I would have had them done a long time ago.) I am hoping the shots in the knees will help me to be able to hunt, I need to be able to walk up a hill (down is much harder) about 500 yards to the one blind and double that or more to get to the second blind. I don't want to miss turkey season so if you guys would pray about that I would be quite grateful.

Anyway it is almost 1 in the morning and I have to take the Mennonite I drive to turn in pelts in the morning so I am going to end this. Best of luck to everyone out there and those still waiting to get out there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Update and a prayer request
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 07:49:44 AM »
Great news for you that the new landlords allowed you to stay! So that issue has been put to rest and one trouble off your mind.
 I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and I’m sure you will be in many people’s thoughts and prayers.
The shots will help but are a quick fix or Band Aid at best. They might get you out hunting this season, so it is worth a try.  I’ve done it in years past just to get my butt in the woods.
My advice is to get one knee replaced at a time. Rehab that knee and go from there. I know from experience they will have you up and walking the day after surgery. So be prepared!  Keep a good attitude and push yourself within reason. At times it might be hard but do the rehab, do not slouch, do it!  It will help you recover faster. 
Having had 6 knee surgeries and 2 knee replacements along with various other operations I know when the weather is cold and damp it takes a toll. Think about wearing a knee brace or some Icy/hot patches when the weather is a little cold or damp.
I learned long ago that being handicapped is just a state of mind. Okay so you might not be able to do something the conventional way like everybody else, but we learn to adjust; adapt and find a way to get it done. You can do anything if you put your mind to it and want something bad enough.
It appears they are starting to lift the restrictions as I have surgery scheduled for the 18th of this month and I was informed yesterday that I do not have to have a covid test. So, there is hope at the end of the tunnel.
Keep me posted on your upcoming surgeries and how you make out turkey hunting this year.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 04:01:19 PM »
Great news for you that the new landlords allowed you to stay! So that issue has been put to rest and one trouble off your mind.
 I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and I’m sure you will be in many people’s thoughts and prayers.
The shots will help but are a quick fix or Band Aid at best. They might get you out hunting this season, so it is worth a try.  I’ve done it in years past just to get my butt in the woods.
My advice is to get one knee replaced at a time. Rehab that knee and go from there. I know from experience they will have you up and walking the day after surgery. So be prepared!  Keep a good attitude and push yourself within reason. At times it might be hard but do the rehab, do not slouch, do it!  It will help you recover faster. 
Having had 6 knee surgeries and 2 knee replacements along with various other operations I know when the weather is cold and damp it takes a toll. Think about wearing a knee brace or some Icy/hot patches when the weather is a little cold or damp.
I learned long ago that being handicapped is just a state of mind. Okay so you might not be able to do something the conventional way like everybody else, but we learn to adjust; adapt and find a way to get it done. You can do anything if you put your mind to it and want something bad enough.
It appears they are starting to lift the restrictions as I have surgery scheduled for the 18th of this month and I was informed yesterday that I do not have to have a covid test. So, there is hope at the end of the tunnel.
Keep me posted on your upcoming surgeries and how you make out turkey hunting this year.
Thanks bud, oh I know all about therapy, in most cases you get out of it what you put into it for sure. I ran into one problem, the doc that has done all 3 of my shoulder surgeries was going to do my knees until he saw my X-rays he did not like the staples in the left knee or the rod in the right leg so referred me to another guy.

The new guy refused to listen to me at all, I told him how unsteady the left knew was and that it would have to be done first but he went ahead and scheduled me have the rod in the right leg removed so he could do the right knee first. Did not want to change it at all. I mean my left knee pops out of socket when I am sitting at the computer or eating a meal all on it's own sometimes. I fear if the right one is done first the left knee could buckle as I am standing or getting up and then I will go down and rip apart the job done on the right if we do it his way. Problem is there are not any other doctors that will even look at my knees in this area. The further complication is the floating knee caps in both knees (basically the bottom of my knee caps are where the tops of most peoples are is the best way to describe it) and the Osgood-Schlatter disease in the left knee which is another reason I am having a problem finding anyone. If they stop making us wear masks I may be able to go to another heath system not in the area and get it done.

Anyway sorry, did not mean to vent, I am just so over this covid stuff, if not for it I could have had this worked on two years ago before the first doctor changed his mind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
Amen my friend. Good news. I wish you well with your ailments. Things always work out for those who deserve it…..be well Steve
“Solo hunter”

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 05:01:19 PM »
Amen my friend. Good news. I wish you well with your ailments. Things always work out for those who deserve it…..be well Steve
Thanks bud, I am sure it will, just get aggravated and forget my time is not always his time.

John Koenig:

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 05:47:05 PM »
I'm sorta going through the same thing with my shoulder. Had rotator cuff surgery 10 weeks ago and now told I need a reverse shoulder replacement on he same shoulder. That's scheduled for April 18th.so I'll have 13 days from surgery date to Spring Turkey opening day.
E Mail me if you like and feel free to vent anytime or we can talk turkey hunting.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 06:21:59 PM »
I'm sorta going through the same thing with my shoulder. Had rotator cuff surgery 10 weeks ago and now told I need a reverse shoulder replacement on he same shoulder. That's scheduled for April 18th.so I'll have 13 days from surgery date to Spring Turkey opening day.
E Mail me if you like and feel free to vent anytime or we can talk turkey hunting.
Sounds like a plan, not right now though, I am nodding off at the screen. :D Oh sorry, best of luck with your next surgery.

John Koenig:

Offline bear hunter

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 07:42:46 PM »
Praying for you.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 02:44:35 AM »
Praying for you.
Thanks bud.

John Koenig:

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 10:45:58 AM »
 :cross2: :cross2: :cross2:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 11:05:39 AM »
:cross2: :cross2: :cross2:
Thank you.

John Koenig:

Online aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 11:41:24 AM »
Glad your getting to stay where your used to being. I’ll be praying healing over your knees. I hope your able to make it to that blind this year a d that a big ole gobbler will strut right up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk