Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg Super Bantam, .582 HS Undertaker, #9 TSS

Started by Matt / PA, April 07, 2022, 07:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt / PA

Mossberg 20ga Super Bantam , .582 ported HS Undertaker, 1 5/8oz handloads.
261 - 10"
240 - 20"

I don't know that I could ask for a nicer more even hunting pattern. Wiggle room on the twitchy close ones and enough snot to reach out a bit.
And the tape was on the target before the shot. She's right down the middle.
That gun has been hell on birds. :OGturkeyhead:

WV Ridge Reaper

Looks very good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

Nice hunting pattern.

I have a S. Bantam that patterns like your's with the Mossberg Xfull choke, averages mid 250's with 1 5/8oz handholds, nice even hunting pattern.

That choke also patterned the old 3" fed HVWT 6's really well.

A friend just borrowed it yesterday for his grandson for youth day

mountainhunter1

Quote from: crow on April 08, 2022, 11:23:34 AM
Nice hunting pattern.

I have a S. Bantam that patterns like your's with the Mossberg Xfull choke, averages mid 250's with 1 5/8oz handholds, nice even hunting pattern.

Crow, I just bought a youth 500 super bantam in obsession camo. Mine has the 22" inch barrel. Are you talking about the little flush fitting x-full that came in the gun from the factory? (it was the only choke that came with the gun and that appears to be how they sell that gun based upon what is shown on the Mossberg page). 

Anyway, that is pretty good if that little factory choke they included with the gun will do that. I should not say "little", but those 20 gauge flush fitting chokes just seem tiny after shooting twelve gauge all of my life.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Matt / PA on April 07, 2022, 07:50:12 PM
Mossberg 20ga Super Bantam , .582 ported HS Undertaker, 1 5/8oz handloads.
261 - 10"
240 - 20"

I don't know that I could ask for a nicer more even hunting pattern. Wiggle room on the twitchy close ones and enough snot to reach out a bit.
And the tape was on the target before the shot. She's right down the middle.
That gun has been hell on birds. :OGturkeyhead:

Matt, I'm messing with a gun that I plan to use starting next year - and with a dirty barrel my new gun is really close to what you are showing here at 41 measured yards (with a dirty barrel my gun (also a youth super bantam) is running just a tad under your ten count with a range anywhere from 240-260). With a clean barrel it will hit 280-290. The trade off on a tighter ten pattern count is that the outer 20" circle count goes down. You seem like you may be like me from the way you posted your pattern, in that the 20" circle is pretty critical as well in case he jerks his head or whatever.

My buddy also has the same gun, and his will only shoot with a dirty barrel, and we were thinking mine would too, but after using up most of my TSS trying to get it dialed in, we realized mine wants a clean barrel to shoot its best. Running low on ammo at the moment, I did not get to shoot it beyond 41 yards, and wondered if you had shot your gun at some point at fifty and sixty yards? I have only shot one bird in my life beyond forty, so I am not planning on slinging hail Mary's in the woods, but since your gun is the same gun, with the same handload of nines, and shooting nearly identical, I'm just wondering if you happen to know what that 260 in the ten pattern at forty yards is doing once it gets to fifty and sixty? Had I not been almost out of handloads, I would have found out myself. Not so much for hunting purposes, but just to know how well that TSS will hold up over lead shot once you get beyond forty.

If you can shed any light on the further range I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for sharing your patterns. If you would rather private message me, that is fine as we maybe don't need to be talking about distances beyond forty yards on this public forum. For me, I love messing with guns, and how well it shoots at the range is just as fun as killing birds inside of forty yards, so that is why I wonder about how your load is patterning a little further out.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

crow

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 08, 2022, 11:59:25 AM
Nice hunting pattern.

Crow, I just bought a youth 500 super bantam in obsession camo. Mine has the 22" inch barrel. Are you talking about the little flush fitting x-full that came in the gun from the factory? (it was the only choke that came with the gun and that appears to be how they sell that gun based upon what is shown on the Mossberg page). 

Anyway, that is pretty good if that little factory choke they included with the gun will do that. I should not say "little", but those 20 gauge flush fitting chokes just seem tiny after shooting twelve gauge all of my life.

Yes this is with the factory flush choke, that is also what came in my gun

an extended choke would probably give better patterns, it has in other guns.

RED NECK

I picked up a used bantam 500 20 gauge youth last year and It shot longbeard 6's and tss 7's outstanding with the multiple chokes I tested in it. I bought the same gun in a different finish a few weeks ago and I am taking it to pattern tommorow with tss 7's, I have a good friend with one and It has patterned everything well. I love the little gun, light and shot everything well. Your patterns are what I would expect from it, I have 6-7 different chokes to test, if I need too.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Matt / PA

Mountainhunter,

No problem at all on the longer range discussion.....
I ran it back as far as I could where I shoot which is a laser ranged 57yds from the muzzle. I only took one shot just for peace of mind at that range.
I can't find the stinking pattern pic with the counts but I'm sure it was still around 140-150 in 10" and I can remember specifically 13 hits in the bone of the head and neck at 57.

Most guys seem to use the point where your 10" drops below 100hits as the "Max range".....I like to shade toward 150 hits in 10" for a little extra security and it's never failed me.
That makes my set up a green light (in the open) at 55yds and under.

That season my buddy's dad used it to dump a nice longbeard at exactly 53yds. I called out the yardage and gave him the ok as the bird was gonna leave the field following a hen who did an about face..
He actually hesitated pulling the trigger and said "are you sure?"
I said yes trust me.
Stoned him like he was hit with a baseball bat.

That why I like at least having that one shot frame of reference almost 5yds further than what he shot. If I wasn't 100% confident in what the pattern was gonna do I would have called him off.

It's realistically probably a 60yd gun MOST of the time....but Im confident it's EVERY TIME under 55.

It's killed birds from 18 to that 53 yarder and everywhere in between. 35 is a real sweet spot.
Pattern is wicked and you'd have to try to miss LOL
Between 30-35 is where I like the kids and wife shooting.
Super forgiving and hits like a hammer without the worry of wiffing one of those super hot core patterns.

mountainhunter1

As I told another gentlemen on here who private messaged me, I love to shoot my deer rifles at 350-400 yards just to see how they will group, but no such shot is happening in the deer woods. Same is true with this new TSS, love to mess with it at the range even though I will rain it in in the turkey woods and try to stay with a 30-40 yard shot.

After seeing that your patterns are almost identical to mine with the same gun and also a 1 5/8 handload of nines, I figured that you could probably tell me what I was wondering. And you did and I appreciate your help. I will go back when I have more ammo worked up and shoot a few more shots just to see the patterns beyond forty one yards, as I like turkey patterns almost as much as a dead turkey in some ways. Setting the guns up for me is about half the fun of the whole sport. Thanks again for your help - very helpful indeed. Hope we cross paths on here again in the future.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: crow on April 08, 2022, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 08, 2022, 11:59:25 AM
Nice hunting pattern.

Yes this is with the factory flush choke, that is also what came in my gun

an extended choke would probably give better patterns, it has in other guns.

Thank Crow, that is good to know. 

I have an  patternmaster anaconda .570 gas over constriction screwed in at the moment, but will have to give that factory choke a shot or two down range during the offseason. Who knows, it might outshoot the current setup.