turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester sxp 20 gauge black shadow

Started by walk2slow, March 10, 2022, 10:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walk2slow

Hello all, have done very few post, But I think I have read all of your post, lots of Good info here, now my question has anyone of you tried the Winchester sxp black shadow 20 gauge, I have read on it the barrel is backbored I think this should help with the patteren ?, I have a few different turkey guns but like to add another one to the collection, but I like for it to be a shooter also, I know I might have to try different chokes and shot but it be nice if I got one and had a place to start with chokes and shot size, Next be finding one. Thanks for any help on this.
Walk2Slow

walk2slow

Apperantley  nobody likes this gun , or it's  no good, I looked back in older post found a little bit about it , but seems nobody is using it lately.   Anyway I bought one with a 26in. barrel and a Carlson 568  choke tube and with Winchester longbeards #6th it will knock a turkey off it feet at 40 yards nice pattern. I found it at Field and Stream in Cincinnati on sale for $299.00 plus Winchester has a $25.00 rebate whitch I have already  receive,  It be the one I Turkey hunt with.
Walk2Slow

lacire

I'm sure your gun will be fine, looks like you patterned it at 40 yards with your choke and shell combination and you're confident that you can kill a turkey with it. Good luck and post us some pictures when you get your gobbler.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Terry

I have the bottomland version and really like it. It patterns very well and seemed reliable. Killed a few long beards with it. Only reason I don't use it anymore is I bought a SX4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishr64

I've got a 24 inch SXP. I put a .555 Indian Creek choke in it and it shoots Hevi #7 well as well as Federal TSS #9. I've not been able to try the Winchester Longbeard in it due to not being able to get any to try.

walk2slow

fishr64 , Terry, your Winchesters sxps,  how does the pump action work, mine is stiff when I push the action rease button the bolt doesn't  move I have to pull it back then when the bolt is all the way back it hard to push the forearm foward, I called Winchester  about this and they said since it was a new gun it could be the cause, my buddy has a 12 gauge sxp and his workes real easy, when he holds his up and hits the button the pump falls back about halfway then working the action no sticking his been this way since he bought it new, unlike mine, I just wondered if others work like mine or does mind have a problem, when I talked to Winchester they said if after 25 to 50 rounds through it if it didn't  loosen up to call back. any thoughts  Thanks
Walk2Slow

Turkeytaker203

I have an SXP 20 gauge Water Fowl Hunter and a SXP 12 Gauge Water Fowl Hunter. There is a big difference between the action on the two. The 12 gauge is smooth, moving forward and back. The 20 gauge goes back nicely but seems to hang up and is hard to move forward. I removed the trigger assembly and the action was easy. The hammer that hits the primer sits up high on the assembly. The bolt carrier slides along the hammer. I think the tension between the hammer and the carrier cause the action issues. I tried to smooth the bottom of the carrier but it made little difference. The area where the carrier slide on the hammer is pretty wide and I wanted to remove a bit of the hammer material but chickened out. The slide moving back resets the hammer for the next round so I didn't want to mess that up.

fishr64

My 20 gauge releases without issue and will start to slide, but it isn't as slick as an 870 or 1300. Mine is a dedicated turkey gun so it works for me.

walk2slow

Thanks  for the info Turkeytaker and Fishr, I agree with you on the 870, I have a  870 youth 20 gauge it patterns good  and the action is smooth but I am having a issue with the 870 with rust I wipe my guns down and use rem. oil when I put them  in the gun cabinet,  the 870 after a few months put away and when I got it out the opposite  side where it ejects shells had rust not as my hand print but  rust all over, just on this side of the action, the gun is around 15 or so years old and I heard when Rem.. first came out with this black coating they had problems, I bought the gun new so I know how it been  taken care of, I should have contacted  Rem. but I had a 1187 before with a sticking shell issue and I sent it back and was told there was no problem with the gun, I even told them where the problem was but that another story. So I am going to get the gun coated , and one day my grandson will have it to hunt with.
Walk2Slow