OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Double double  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Kygobblergetter

Double double
« on: April 02, 2022, 11:11:34 PM »
My buddy and I were able to get it done in texas… twice. We arrived Friday to scout and didn’t really find anything promising at all but did hear two birds gobble way off. This morning was opening day and we started in that area but only heard one gobble on the roost that was a long way away. After waiting around for a while we worked in the general direction that we had heard the gobble. Eventually we heard some birds gobbling on the ground across the river but by the time we made it over there they were headed the other way and we couldn’t keep up. At this point we decide to start making the 2 mile trip back to our bikes. As we are working our way back we notice fresh tracks on the road so we really slow down and and watch for birds ahead of us. 75 yards later and I eased around a corner and saw a big flock of birds up ahead of us with 2 birds strutting. A couple of the hens knew something wasn’t right but the flock really didn’t know what was up and just kept working the way they were going. Once they are out of sight we give it a minute for them to drift off and ease our way up to a small tree to see if we can get any response from the gobblers. I hit my call and they gobble back. We quickly sit down and start playing the game. The birds are answering every call and we can tell they are starting to close a little distance. When they start coming we can hear another bird gobble a few times but really don’t pay that much attention to it. Before too long we can see 1 longbeard come out in the road and he’s heading our way pretty quick. It looked like it was just going to be 1 bird but finally about 75 yards from us his buddy joins him. At about 30 yards we are going to try and kill them but my buddies buddies bird goes in to strut so we wait. At this point the birds break and are coming hard and end up at 15 yards and gobbled right in our face. We had to swing and the movement stopped them then we pulled off the double. We’re sitting there taking it all in when I hear another bird gobble a decent ways away. We get our birds back to the tree and sit down facing the other way and pretty soon we can tell two birds are coming from that side now. We caught a glimpse of the birds coming through some thick stuff but once they made it to the road we couldn’t see them. They gobbled great but hung up out of sight for about 10 minutes. Finally I cut at them hard and then shut up and before long we could see them coming down the road. The lead bird got to about 30 yards and saw something that he didn’t like and stopped. My buddy couldn’t see the back bird but I could so we switched birds and counted to 3 and pulled off our double double in Texas. Unfortunately neither bird was an upgrade but I’m thrilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Double double
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 11:49:19 PM »
I’ve doubled a couple times with my granddaughter and son but never a double double, great story. Congratulations on two good birds.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 12:06:18 AM »
Thanks. It was a first for me as well

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 12:07:10 AM »

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 06:50:58 AM »
Thanks. It was a first for me as well

Congrats
“Solo hunter”

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 08:53:59 AM »
Man that’s a heck of a hunt.  Only bad thing about that is carrying 2 birds 2 miles out lol. A bad thing that’s so worth it.  Huge congrats to you and your buddy. 

Offline BBR12

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 09:04:19 PM »
Congratulations that’s awesome.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 10:38:08 PM »
What an awesome turn of events for both of you. Congratulations to you two. You seem to have no problem with OOS birds.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 07:54:39 PM »
Very cool bro, congrats