turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Playing the game with A wise bird

Started by justin.arps, March 31, 2022, 08:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin.arps

What's A hunting story of yours that you used odd tactics, or thought out of the box to beat A smart old bird that gave you fits?

g8rvet

Not really odd tactics, but it made me smile as it occurred.  Several members of my family had fooled with a bird that would hang up at 75 yards, every time.  Like 4 different mornings.  My nephew had not killed a bird yet that year and I called him and said we were gonna kill him the next time he gobbled.

We went the following Saturday and sure enough he gobbled on the hill.  We were already in the bottom that he liked to travel, but we were gonna use a new tactic.  I got him fired up with the glass call.  He started moving our way and I just stood up and walked away calling- scratching at leaves and easing my way through the thick swamp.  I would stop when he would stop and move as he moved closer.  He was hammering so much I just knew he was gonna call in other hunters.  But he did not and I just slow walked him right into my waiting nephew who never made a sound until he clicked his safety!  Was a very satisfying hunt just because the plan came together. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

justin.arps

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin.arps

Quote from: g8rvet on April 02, 2022, 11:43:08 AM
Not really odd tactics, but it made me smile as it occurred.  Several members of my family had fooled with a bird that would hang up at 75 yards, every time.  Like 4 different mornings.  My nephew had not killed a bird yet that year and I called him and said we were gonna kill him the next time he gobbled.

We went the following Saturday and sure enough he gobbled on the hill.  We were already in the bottom that he liked to travel, but we were gonna use a new tactic.  I got him fired up with the glass call.  He started moving our way and I just stood up and walked away calling- scratching at leaves and easing my way through the thick swamp.  I would stop when he would stop and move as he moved closer.  He was hammering so much I just knew he was gonna call in other hunters.  But he did not and I just slow walked him right into my waiting nephew who never made a sound until he clicked his safety!  Was a very satisfying hunt just because the plan came together.
I had A bird do several people the same way, I called him and struck him up then moved swiftly 100 yds towards him in the woods and set up. His hang up spot wound up being 22 yds from me. I love the birds that make you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk