only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best striker for butternut

Started by jmart241, March 06, 2022, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmart241

Whats everyones favorite striker with butternut sound board

PNWturkey

I have a butternut scratch box from Bo Baldwin (Creekside Game Calls).

I like the way it sounds with the round-top cedar striker from my Super Yelper, along with white Rain Chalk.  (I also like the way that particular striker fits in my hand, so I use it a lot.)  Photo below.

I have scratch boxes in cedar, butternut, walnut, and cherry and think they all sound great with a cedar striker!  YMMV...

Ranman

The cedar striker from the Super helper is a nice all around striker. I have also made a striker from black walnut that works well.

Loyalist84

A piece of slate roofing tile, cut the Henry Davis way.

Ranman

You have a pic of the Henry Davis way? I have a piece of slate and have been wanting to try it.

RH1

Rutland dymonwood...seems to run anything good.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Loyalist84

Quote from: Ranman on March 24, 2022, 04:27:21 PM
You have a pic of the Henry Davis way? I have a piece of slate and have been wanting to try it.

I may well have it wrong, but I just cut one according to his instructions, 4" x 1 3/16", then smoothed the ridges out of it with 120 grit (Davis says 00 paper, but I didn't have any 100 grit). It does need to be chalked to work properly, but it turned my Farley bloodwood and butternut scratcher into a hen with a bit more rasp and a much deeper, throatier bottom end. I used slate from the c.1893 roof tiles of my provincial legislative building they were selling as coasters. I think it's exactly the type of heavy roofing slate that Davis would have been familiar with.

Ranman