OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anybody cut thier own trees for pot calls?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Re: Anybody cut thier own trees for pot calls?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »
Well, the mill showed up beginning of June. I went with a Woodland Mills HM126 Woodlander capable of handling 16’11” logs with a 26” diameter. I’ve had just over 16’ on it so far.
Pretty pleased with the mill. The shipping not so much! Some hack forklift operator decided to punch a few holes in my boxes. Ended up bending one of the track rails so the assembly was put off for about 2 weeks until a new one could be shipped out. He also dented the gas tank and the flywheel cover on the engine. Everything runs fine and the tank doesn’t leak so I decided to grin and bear it.

Finally got the mill up and running for the July 4th weekend. Been going after a few quaking aspens that came down in the wind last fall and this spring. The Mill cuts them like butter. I’ll use this lumber for a wood drying shelter and storage of the mill when not in use. It’s the most abundant tree on our property. Not the best for construction lumber but good enough for an out building.

I’ve got and integrated trailer system with log ramps and a hand wench to get the logs on the bed if the mill. The trailer system allows me to pull the  the mill to the fell sight of the tree/trees with our ranger SxS. Our land is pretty flat and it only takes about 10 minutes to level the mill with 6 Jack stands.

I’ve got 5 - 10’ post and a number of 2x8’s ready to go in the pile of lumber in the pic. I’ve got 2 piles going. The second 16’ pile isn’t in the pic. Got some 5’ - 4x4’s and about 100 1x2 stickers for the drying stacks cut up with the mill. I’m not worried about sticker stain for the aspen and they should be plenty dry by the time I start stacking better quality lumber. 3 more posts and I’ll be able to start construction on the shelter.

Once the shelter is complete I got my eye one a few ash trees for future call making. I’ve also spied a number of pines that will becoming down for a garage and miscellaneous lumber. We’ve also got a number of suger maple on the property and some white and red oak mixed in. Possible hard wood flooring, trim boards, and of course call wood from the oak. Not sure about the maple for calls as I’ve read it’s pretty finicky when it comes to moisture.

I’ve got a lap siding attachment for the mill and have been reading the aspen makes decent siding if you coat it with a primer and acrylic latex paint. Over 10 years in Wisconsin and still in great shape when the study ended. I think it will do  just fine for an exterior covering the of the future wood shop.

All in all I’m very happy. It’s a little bit of work but it’s keeping me a in shape for duck season this fall and of course turkeys next spring.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:29:28 PM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 08:59:56 PM »
I don’t build calls , but saw a lot of lumber. One of the best toys I’ve ever bought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 09:19:43 PM »
I don’t build calls , but saw a lot of lumber. One of the best toys I’ve ever bought

It's been pretty interesting so far. Been seeing some pretty.cool looking grain patterns in the aspen I've been sawing. 2 more 10' 6x6's and I can get to work on the shelter.

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Chuck1443

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 09:16:52 AM »

It's been pretty interesting so far. Been seeing some pretty.cool looking grain patterns in the aspen I've been sawing. 2 more 10' 6x6's and I can get to work on the shelter.
I shouldn’t call the sawmill a toy . They are are great investment and will pay for itself over and over , if not by sawing for others ,it will by the savings of sawing your own

[ulr=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url][=https://flic.kr/p/2eAvvmY][/url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/157301774@N04/][/url]

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 10:27:15 PM »
I'm promised a piece of this burl when the tree finally falls, I plan to have one spun for me to build a kit call with and will send some to have one made of it as well. Closest I will come.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 09:23:57 PM »
That's one heck of a burl. Looks twice as big underground.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 12:53:33 AM »
That's one heck of a burl. Looks twice as big underground.
It really is quite impressive in person.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."