OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where to buy slate

Started by Rtr1987, July 21, 2022, 02:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rtr1987

Where do you guys get your slate for calls? I don't need it to be pre cut or anything, just a source for natural slate would be great. I've tried Brookside and wasn't very impressed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

callmakerman

What type of call are you building? I've bought slate roofing tile off ebay and cut it down to size with a cheap tile saw and diamond blade. Works great for making strikers for scratch boxes.

Rtr1987

It will mostly be pot style calls of several varieties. I do have a wet saw, I just don't know if I should be looking for older slate roof tile, just buying slate tile from lowes or home depot, or any other sources. Thanks for the info!

ol bob

You don't want slate more than .100 thick if you put masking tape on the back, you don't need a wet saw just go slow with a fine tooth saw you will be fine.

Rtr1987

Quote from: ol bob on July 22, 2022, 11:08:48 AM
You don't want slate more than .100 thick if you put masking tape on the back, you don't need a wet saw just go slow with a fine tooth saw you will be fine.

What kind of saw are you referring to that would work? Thanks!

ol bob

I've always used a very fine band saw blade cut 100s and never had a problem, cut my own for over 25 years.

Rtr1987

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it