OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: When they won’t gobble  (Read 4718 times)

Offline BDeal

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: When they won’t gobble
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 08:47:07 AM »
If the wide open bottoms you speak are open oak stands look for flats in these bottoms instead of the ridge rising directly up from the creek bed. A smaller point with ridges on each side that extend out past the point usually have a decent flat where the 2 valleys meet. Benches on the side of the ridge are also good for some investigation.

This is good stuff- You wouldn't happen to have a photo example from a topo map would you?

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 08:53:57 AM »
If the wide open bottoms you speak are open oak stands look for flats in these bottoms instead of the ridge rising directly up from the creek bed. A smaller point with ridges on each side that extend out past the point usually have a decent flat where the 2 valleys meet. Benches on the side of the ridge are also good for some investigation.

This is good stuff- You wouldn't happen to have a photo example from a topo map would you?

I sure would.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline BDeal

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 01:14:51 PM »

Would you be willing to post it?

Thank You!!
I sure would.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »
Much of the turkey hunting I do is on scattered wood lots of 20-60 acres, making it necessary for me to do a lot of sitting and waiting. After fly down, when the hens pull the gobblers off in a different direction from where I've set up, it's often necessary for me to wait for the hens to leave the gobblers later in the morning. In these situations, gobblers will often, but not always, still be in a breeding mood and may respond to hen yelps, especially if I shake my gobble tube giving the impression that there's a strange tom intruding in the real bird's territory. Having gobblers respond as late as 12 noon are not uncommon, usually coming in silent, looking for the strange gobbler and hen in "his" territory. I always put up some camo netting in front of me which hides my naps, Bible and magazine reading, etc. which helps cover restlessness while waiting and watching for the gobbler to come in.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 07:58:23 PM »
Best thing I've ever found to get a lockjawed gobbler to open up is the back up alarm from a D9 Cat.
I just can't figure out how to carry one in the woods.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.