Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Sheesh what a weekend

Started by FullChoke, March 28, 2022, 10:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I hunted Saturday and Sunday afternoons at the cattle operation where the birds are really hanging out. Let me start by saying that I didn't kill a gobbler, but it was an eventful 2 days anyway. On Saturday I was watching a 2 year old strutting along the north treeline when he suddenly took off running in a half-strut. I looked over to where he was heading and spotted another gobbler that had just come into the field. They got to fighting and beating on each other and then twisted their necks together and started a shoving match. I have never actually seen two birds do the shoving thing so I can now check that off on my turkey list. Sunday afternoon I was snuggled down in a brush pile on that north treeline. Eventually I had 5 hens feeding within 10 yards right in front of me on green shoots. At one point, one hen was standing directly in front drilling holes in that thing over there. By resting my head against a limb, holding my breath, covering my legs with leaves, sticks and dirt and making sure to wash my Mossy Oak hunting clothes in non UV brightening detergent, I was able to beat the sharpest eyes in nature. She eventually clucked once and went back to feeding, and I was able to carefully exhale. The hens made their way out across the field and I spotted 7 other hens along a fence line taking dust baths with the dominant bird strutting behind them. I watched through binoculars as he stayed in strut for 3 hours following them everywhere. As the sun was setting, I realized that I was losing daylight and I started loud and aggressive yelping to him. He acted like he was considering the invitation when something happened that was an unhappy first for me. A rifle shot rang out from a neighboring trailer. The turkeys scattered and I saw the gobbler heading for the treeline on the far side of the field. I guess that the Bubbas were just taking a beer induced pot shot at the flock just to mess with them, but it still rattled me quite a bit.

In all, this weekend I watched and had close up yelping lessons from 12 hens and 3 mature gobblers including the big bird that I let walk last year. Nothing is certain in turkey hunting, but I hope to be back there and finish the lustful conversation with Senor Grande. And no Bubbas.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.