OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got it done  (Read 1105 times)

Online Kygobblergetter

Got it done
« on: March 27, 2022, 08:36:28 PM »
Knocked one down in Mississippi today. Pictures and story will come tomorrow hopefully. Bad phone service and I’ve been up 28 hours with no sleep at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Re: Got it done
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 08:42:09 PM »
Congrats bro

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 08:58:25 PM »
Nice job
“Solo hunter”

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:12:03 PM »
Heck Yeah HUGE CONGRATS!!! Looking forward to reading the story

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 09:58:58 PM »
Atta boy.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Online FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 07:17:51 AM »
Well done! Can't wait to hear the story.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline BBR12

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 06:53:57 PM »
Congratulations man.

Online Kygobblergetter

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 01:36:56 AM »
Alright guys I’m finally back home and figured I’ll go ahead and fill you in on the story. I missed the deadline to apply and be able to hunt public the first two weeks of season so I looked on Craigslist and found a hunt club looking for deer hunters and got them to allow me to turkey hunt for a fee. To be honest the hunt club just wasn’t very good. I went down there for the opener and covered basically the entire property and only found 2 longbeards. Was able to come close on the bird that I ended up killing but couldn’t seal the deal. Had to get back to work for a few days and then headed back down there with a buddy from work. We left Saturday night and made the 10 hour drive in time to hunt Sunday morning. The other bird I had located got killed one morning when I was at work so it was an easy decision on where to start. We got to the area where I had heard this bird previously and he answered not too far away at my first owl hoot. I could tell he was roosted on a creek bottom near a small field so we began slipping into position to set up on him. Based on the layout we originally set up on a logging road about 200 yards from the bird. I waited until I felt like he would be flying down soon and gave him a few soft yelps to let him know I was there and he immediately hammered back. He kept gobbling decent so I waited a few minutes and did a fly down which he also responded to. I shut up and waited for him to hit the ground. Once he flew down he went silent for about 30 minutes. We stayed put and waited on him to fire back up which he eventually did and when he gobbled I could tell he was farther down the creek near the small field. He was probably 300 yards away so I decided to call to him and ease down the road a little closer. He was answering every call I made even soft clucks so I knew I was probably in business. As I got closer to the field I could tell he was working his way up to the field so I decided to stay on the road and set up about 35 yards from a sharp bend in the road where he would have to come in range before he could see the source of the calling. Once set up I stopped calling for 5 or so minutes and when I gave a few soft yelps he gobbled in the field and had clearly closed a lot of the distance between us. I knew he was coming and stopped calling completely at this point. It seemed like when I shut up it got him even more tore up and he began gobbling every minute and was closer with each gobble. Before long I could hear him spitting and drumming on the road not too far around the bend and he gobbled right before he came around the bend and in to view. Once he came around the road bend in full strut he stood for a few seconds and then raise his head to look for the hen that he’d been hearing and that ended that. He was probably the lowest scoring bird I’ve ever killed as nearly all of his beard was gone except for a pencil thin section that was 7.5 inches but I’m just as happy with him as any bird I’ve ever killed. To top it off my buddy got the whole thing on video just for fun. Definitely a hunt I will always remember. We spent a lot of time scouting on public to be able to hunt Tuesday and found 1 bird but he only gobbled a few times on the limb and then shut up on us. Hunted until 1:00 but never could fire anything else up and headed back home. Mississippi was a great experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 06:48:01 AM »
They are all trophies brother, congrats

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 08:18:50 PM »
As the saying goes….  All dead turkeys look the same. It’s the hunt that you remember. You played the game and came out on top.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 08:21:12 PM »
Congrats