OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New to turkey hunting (MD)  (Read 2098 times)

Offline markelljones

New to turkey hunting (MD)
« on: March 27, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
As the topic reads, I will be a first time turkey hunter come this April. I own a 12 gauge shotgun and am an alright shot (police, military). I'm familiar with the laws in the in Maryland and plan on hunting on public land (me and a friend of mine who is also a complete novice). I understand hunting with someone who has some experience under their belt would be better, but it isn't possible. I also understand that we're doomed to fail, haha. Could you guys offer any tips on gear selection and newcomer strategies? Anything, and I mean anything, is greatly appreciated. (We have a little over a month to prepare, if need be)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: New to turkey hunting (MD)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 08:01:22 PM »
Welcome and sorry to hear of your troubles being police trained in shooting. Ah just kidding, kinda.  Honestly if you have a gun you can prob start without loads of trouble. You need to pattern the gun. Typically we’d say try all kinds of chokes, loads, types, etc but time is limited and ammo hard to come by. What type chokes do you have and what type ammo can you get? You might be best with sights but that may or may not be necessary dependent on the choke, load combo. I’d recommend copper plated lead to start. TSS is gonna be real expensive and perhaps you can’t get enough after all the things you’d need to do. Start so this is manageable
Also how do you plan on calling? I’d say easiest to learn relatively quickly might be a box call. Learning the when’s might be lots harder.
All of this is to assume you’ll have something to shoot at or call to. One month is really super short to do everything you need to get started with any real chance at success as novices. That’s the truth but let’s start at a few places you can prepare.
A few firsts cause time is limited. Find birds. Get up early, crack of dawn. Drive around areas listening for gobbles. Locate as many as possible. You’ll need em. If you know the woods stay out. Just long range locate.
Another first, get that box call. Learn how to use it. David Halloran has some good you tubes about use, mistakes. Dr Lovett now passed has a real turkey cds to help listen and give insight.
Patterning your gun, start close. If the gun shoots not perfect, get sights, scope, whatever but get it to shoot poa.  If it does shoot straight pattern it and see where the pattern falls apart on you. That’ll be your effective range. Being your limited if that’s only 30 yards don’t sweat it. Way more birds are killed under 30 than over. Pattern on large paper so you can see if pattern is favoring one side. (You need sights to fix)
It’s hard to give more specifics since you were vague in what you have.
Keep posting your results and guys will guide you to things for consideration

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 08:04:00 PM »
I forgot to say, don’t practice calling on birds pre season. You’ll educate them

Offline markelljones

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 08:42:21 PM »
Welcome and sorry to hear of your troubles being police trained in shooting. Ah just kidding, kinda.  Honestly if you have a gun you can prob start without loads of trouble. You need to pattern the gun. Typically we’d say try all kinds of chokes, loads, types, etc but time is limited and ammo hard to come by. What type chokes do you have and what type ammo can you get? You might be best with sights but that may or may not be necessary dependent on the choke, load combo. I’d recommend copper plated lead to start. TSS is gonna be real expensive and perhaps you can’t get enough after all the things you’d need to do. Start so this is manageable
Also how do you plan on calling? I’d say easiest to learn relatively quickly might be a box call. Learning the when’s might be lots harder.
All of this is to assume you’ll have something to shoot at or call to. One month is really super short to do everything you need to get started with any real chance at success as novices. That’s the truth but let’s start at a few places you can prepare.
A few firsts cause time is limited. Find birds. Get up early, crack of dawn. Drive around areas listening for gobbles. Locate as many as possible. You’ll need em. If you know the woods stay out. Just long range locate.
Another first, get that box call. Learn how to use it. David Halloran has some good you tubes about use, mistakes. Dr Lovett now passed has a real turkey cds to help listen and give insight.
Patterning your gun, start close. If the gun shoots not perfect, get sights, scope, whatever but get it to shoot poa.  If it does shoot straight pattern it and see where the pattern falls apart on you. That’ll be your effective range. Being your limited if that’s only 30 yards don’t sweat it. Way more birds are killed under 30 than over. Pattern on large paper so you can see if pattern is favoring one side. (You need sights to fix)

Thank you for the lengthy response. I don't have anything but the gun, license, and tags. I don't have the attire or anything. We're required to wear some sort of blaze orange during the firearm seasons. The gun I have is very much a home defense gun. We have a lot of niche gun stores around here so I'm sure acquiring a choke won't be a problem.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 09:02:59 PM »
I just checked the  regs for maryland and there's a blaze orange exemption for wild turkey hunters.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/FO_Requirements.aspx
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:21:07 PM by Paulmyr »
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Online Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 09:20:24 PM »
For learning to call on such short notice I would recommend trying to find a push pin call. They are extremely easy for the beginner to operate. Follow it up with a good box call and or pot call or vise versa.

The learning curve on the box and pot should allow you to be somewhat proficient with either by the time the season rolls around depending on how much you practice. You should have no problems with standard yelps, clucks, and purring with either. Getting to know the nuances of each call and how to change inflection to put "feeling" into the will take some time.

Although not needed a good turkey vest goes a long way for toting calls, water, spare clothes to either put on or take off and store, and a merriad of other things us turkey hunters feel the need to drag along.

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 11:05:04 PM »
Get a box call and watch as many YouTube videos as you can stand on calling techniques.

Figure out what shells you want to shoot and get plenty. 

Pattern your gun and understand point of aim and point of impact.  (Your shooting a shotgun like a rifle)

Get a good butt cushion.  Learn how to use it.

Find a comfortable facemask and comfortable camo gloves.

Read the current thread on patience. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,107833.0.html

Read it again.

Go have a good time and enjoy the learning process.  It's serious fun but most of all remember it's fun.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 11:14:39 PM »
For safty purposes:
Don't wear or carry anything that is red, white or blue, avoid solid black too. I carry a blaze orange hat in my vest, once I shoot a gobbler I put the hat on. Don't stalk or reap turkeys. Don't use male decoys or gooble calls. Try to sit with your back against a large diameter tree and call the bird to you. Don't wave at anyone in the woods. Stay with your hunting partner, dont separate. And most importantly don't forget the bug spray!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 03:08:08 AM »

Thank you for the lengthy response. I don't have anything but the gun, license, and tags. I don't have the attire or anything. We're required to wear some sort of blaze orange during the firearm seasons. The gun I have is very much a home defense gun. We have a lot of niche gun stores around here so I'm sure acquiring a choke won't be a problem.

If it’s a home defense gun the choke may be too open. You may need a gun but what type is it? You say home defense but is that your terminology or is it marketed as such? If not it could be a simple choke change to get it where it’s usable. As Paulmyr said there are orange exceptions and remember the safety zobo mentions too.
Camo, use whatever you can get. I use regular woodland army fatigues.
Turkey season can be buggy. Thermacell can be a life saver from biting inscects and it’s cheap. Ticks can also be a problem. Get some permethrin concentrate. Also cheap. Mix w water as directed. Put in spray bottle and spray clothes as directed. Let dry and they’re protected.
Another thing not mentioned a good butt pad. Either attached to a turkey vest which I typically wear. It holds your shells, calls, gloves, face mask (another important thing), snacks, has a pocket in back for bird, etc etc but its convenient to grab gun and vest, that’s it. If not you’ll still need to figure how to carry all that. If another method is used youll still need a butt pad for sitting and they can be bought seperately. Be advised. Nothing needs to be Orange and will hurt you more than likely. If you’re worried wear a orange vest or hat walking in/out when seated don’t have it visible.
As a new hunter understand, do not go to areas w other hunters already there . It’s dangerous and actually harder. If you see cars there move on. Remember I said find a whole bunch areas earlier. You can move to another place. GO IN EARLY and use no lights. Set up preferably w a large tree at your back for safety. . If not early someone is sure to beat you to some areas. My early and most are prob extreme but the point is don’t wade in among others. Pretty unsafe and actually inconsiderate.
Lots of good information everyone is giving you. You’ll see how it’s alot of info. That why I said a month is short. Sometimes though birds wanna die today so you for sure have a chance and you gotta start somewhere.
One more thing regarding camo. This time of year Walmart is clearancing all their hunt stuff. You can get shirts and pants for like $7. Wear that on top of whatever and you can get by cheap. Remember no red, white and blue showing through as in red sweatshirt underneath w hood hanging out, white collared shirt, etc etc
Can you identify the sex of birds? If not become proficient there as only males can or should only be shot. Some states have bearded birds rules which I think are bad. Red, white, blue is a turkey head color.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 03:11:33 AM »
Sorry guys I realized I repeated some already mentioned

Offline markelljones

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 07:33:54 PM »
Thank you all for the information. I'll start screwing around with calls throughout my work day tomorrow. Appreciate all the help thus far!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 08:24:49 PM »
*Put the full choke in your shotgun (if you have changable chokes)
*#6 lead shot will work fine (as long as lead is legal to shoot).  Any of the turkey loads sold in packs of 10 will work, but I do prefer #6's.
*Camouflage clothing that is of similar color of your surroundings is helpful.  Drab browns and greens will work though.
*Face mask is probably a good idea.
*Box call would be my first choice for a beginning call (Easy to learn, realistic, and versatile)
*DO NOT MOVE/BE STILL.  Turkeys see movement surprisingly well.  Even the slightest head turn, hand movement, etc., will be seen.  If you think a bird is close DO NOT MOVE!
*Turkeys hear well.  Move as quietly as possible through the woods, talk as little as possible, and whisper when you do.
*When you do call do NOT over-call...  Once you get a good response, the more you call, the more he will expect the hen to come to him.

Shooting a turkey on the ground is a bit different that wing-shooting or clay shooting.  You want a tight pattern, and smaller pellet sizes (such as #6's) out of a tighter choke such as a full choke are more effective...  Even with larger sized shot, you will not penetrate that breast meat without damaging it.

Pattern the gun with your choke using cheaper (lighter recoiling) target loads, to know where your hold point is going to be, if you get lucky enough to take a shot.  After figuring out where your gun shoots, you might want to put a couple hunting rounds on paper to make sure you have a nice tight pattern.

Many hunters new to turkey hunting do not realize how important a head/neck shot is.  Unless you hit that bird in the head/neck, you will not kill it.  For most shotguns, the point you aim at is a hair above where the neck (skin) meets the feathers.

Also, most hunters new to turkey hunting shoot at birds too far.  If you are trying to figure out if the bird is in range, he is too far.  When a bird comes into good range, YOU WILL KNOW IT!

Sometimes you can do everything right, and it still does not come together, and sometimes (hopefully) you find a bird that wants to die....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:42:45 PM by Marc »
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline gobbler777

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »
western md or Eastern Shore
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland