Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

SC afternoon roost hunt

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 26, 2022, 01:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I had an exciting afternoon roost hunt yesterday.
I went to a field where turkeys like to roost. I set up in the woods where I could watch the field edge and the woods.
The wind was howling. I didn't see or hear anything. The sun was getting low, so I decided to call it an afternoon.
Before walking into the field, I glassed it. About 300 yards away was a strutter and a hen.  They were on the other side of the field, so I figured they would fly up to roost over there. Having nothing to lose, I called to them. The gobbler dropped out of strut and stuck his head up. Then he went back to strutting. I called every few minutes. He just stayed and strutted, but the hen was slowly heading my way.
I kept calling and she kept coming, and he kept following. They came all the way across the field and were headed to the roost on my side of the field. The sun was getting low and I knew they would fly up and roost very soon.
I'd been standing up leaning against a tree, so I eased my gun up and rested it on a branch. The hen came into range but the gobbler was lagging behind. He was just coming into range when the hen took off running towards me. I knew she was about to fly up and roost. The gobbler dropped out of strut, and was about to follow her. It was now or never!! I knew once he started running to gain enough speed to fly, I would probably miss if I took the shot. So I put the dot on his neck and pulled the trigger. He dropped in his tracks!! I thanked God for an awesome and memorable hunt.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Hot Diggity Dog! Congrats on a great hunt. We got some birds early this season.  :fud:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Will

Thebody

Nice!  Great story, congrats
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WildSpur

Good deal!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less