OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Franchi Affinity 3 Compact  (Read 1599 times)

Offline hardmanjd

Franchi Affinity 3 Compact
« on: March 25, 2022, 12:02:45 PM »
I picked up a 20 gauge Franchi Affinity 3 Compact with a 24" barrel along with a Carlson's .575 extended turkey choke this past fall based on research from this forum.  I got the stock and forearm dipped in mossy oak bottomland and have been anxiously awaiting the season to start this year.  I have been on the lookout for shells since before Christmas.  I really wanted to try the Federal TSS #9's, but after researching on the forum, it seems most have trouble with them cycling.  I have not been able to come across any Apex #9's and finally had to settle for some Hevi-shot Magnum Blend shells that I was finally able to get my hands on a couple of weeks ago.  Well, needless to say, you can tell from the picture of the Mag Blends, I was not happy this week when I shot them.  The next day (the day before the season opened), I thought I would try my local shop again to see if, by chance, they had any 20 gauge shells come in.  Luckily, they got a shipment in this week.  All were #7's except for some Federal Heavyweight TSS #7 and #9 blend.  So, in despair from the Mag Blend, I opted for the Fed blend.  Needless to say, I'm a happy hunter now!  Also, I started by loading the Fed blend shell from the magazine and it went in flawlessly.  I then put a Mag Blend shell into the magazine to make sure it would load behind the Fed shell after firing.  It also loaded flawlessly.  My plan is to hunt with a Fed TSS shell in the chamber and two lesser shells in the magazine.  So, with 225 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with the Fed TSS #7,#9 blend, I'm ready to hunt!       

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Franchi Affinity 3 Compact
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 07:25:31 PM »
Guns either love the Magnum blend or they truly hate it as you found out. You would think that load would shoot a lot better than it does.

But as to your later attempt with the 7 and 9 blend, you have a good solid hunting pattern. That 7 and 9 blend of TSS tends to shoot good out of most guns. You should kill a lot of birds with that set up.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 03:59:22 AM »
If you're open to it, try the Apex ninja or Foxtrot crushers in 9s

Offline hardmanjd

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 12:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm relieved to have found a load available that works.  I may try some others in the future and will take a look at the Apex ninja and Foxtrot Crushers.  I actually looked at the Foxtrot ammo, but never found any available when I checked.  Hopefully, this will all get better soon!