turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Early 1950s Red Cedar Box Call

Started by Chaser, March 24, 2022, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaser

I inherited a box call from my dad when he passed away several years back.  Growing up my dad told me this about the call: made of red cedar (and it looks like it), he got it in early 50's, and it was made by an old fella in north Florida where my dad lived. 

As you can imagine it has great sentimental value to me, but I would like to use it occasionally on fair weather hunts.  Kind of like having Dad along on the hunt again.

My question is can this wood and specifically age of this wood be reconditioned without high risk of damaged?  Obviously the person doing the work can do it wrong, but is there anything inherent to this old call that will cause trouble.  Or should I just keep it on the mantel as a keepsake?

Thanks,
Joe
"I remember the gobblers that eluded my best efforts far better than those that I bagged, and I am sure I learned more from them." Earl Groves (from the book TOM FOOLERY 2000)

ferocious calls

I would cherish the call as is. Dad put every scratch on it. Patina is character.

callmakerman

Quote from: ferocious calls on March 24, 2022, 06:12:03 PM
I would cherish the call as is. Dad put every scratch on it. Patina is character.
Well said and I would think it would make you sick if it was screwed up. Hunt it now and then and be happy with the memories it brings to you.

Zobo

I agree that the character from years of use should be cherished. If it sounds good leave it as is and use it. If it doesn't, leave it on the mantel and remember your dad every time you look at it.
     I love calls that show signs of use. I find it curious when someone trying to sell an old call boosts about how it's never been hunted. I always see that as a negative not a positive.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Chaser

Thanks for the replies.

I was talking about reconditioning the friction surfaces, not refinishing the call.

Unfortunately it's a moot point.  Looking at at it much closer yesterday, I noticed the checking on the lid appears deeper than I thought at first, so it will stay on the mantel as a keep sake.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
"I remember the gobblers that eluded my best efforts far better than those that I bagged, and I am sure I learned more from them." Earl Groves (from the book TOM FOOLERY 2000)