OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: When do you load your gun?  (Read 6286 times)

Offline ejhandler

Re: When do you load your gun?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 10:44:05 AM »
At gobble time, I'll load up at the truck before slipping into the woods.  If I'm making a major hike to a new area, sometimes I will unload (usually just when terrain is tough or woods are thick) until I am at the new location and plan to start hunting.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
When I walk into the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hoytboy247

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
I usually load up at the truck and carry my gun without a sling.  If i am going with kids guns are loaded when we sit down just as an extra precaution. I’ll unload when back in sight of the truck or walking back.  When i say unload i mean i take the shell out of the chamber and keep the tube full.  My father was attacked by a group of pitbulls while walking from the truck in the dark and says if he hadn’t of been loaded he probably wouldn’t still be here.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2022, 02:53:22 PM »
I load up last thing before I leave the truck and start walking to wherever it is I'm going.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

CowHunter71

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2022, 09:27:56 AM »
I load my shotgun opening morning of Turkey Season at the truck. I hunt everyday of my Spring and Fall Seasons, on Public Ground close to the house. It stays loaded between my center console and passenger seat until my last walk out on the last day of season. Shells are added as needed to always keep the count at 3.

Offline spurred63

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »
On my walk in.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 12:02:38 PM »
Right before I enter the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 03:39:48 PM »
At the truck in the dark. Unload when I’m back at the truck.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 10:48:26 AM »
Mine stays loaded unless someone gets in my truck.
I like that one buddy Lol. I load mine as soon as I exit the vehicle, or the house given no traveling is involved. I don't always chamber a round though, just kind of a how I feel thing honestly.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Offline rstewart8706

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2023, 08:27:32 PM »
I load  my gun at the truck but don't chamber a round until I set up.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2023, 09:55:49 AM »
A sidebar to this discussion is knowing the regulations/laws of the state you are hunting in.  Some states you can carry an uncased and loaded (chambered round) firearm in your vehicle, but there are states where your gun must not only not have any shells in the chamber or magazine, but it also must be cased while the vehicle is being driven. 

I wonder how many folks actually check these types of regulations in the states they visit?...

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2023, 07:03:52 PM »
I don't load until I am walking into the woods, and I unload it before I case it and put it in the truck. Too many morons are running around shooting from vehicles for me to be associated with that bunch. Plus it's illegal. I also unload and case my gun when on my 4 wheeler. I have taught my kids the same.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2023, 09:27:44 PM »
Load it shortly after leaving the truck. Unload as soon as I arrive back at the truck. Besides meeting legal and safety requirements, it has to do with using an autoloader. I don't want to be making any noise once in the woods.

When I do load my gun I turn away from the woods and use one hand to press the bolt release while the other hand slowly guides the bolt forward to minimize that noise.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2023, 02:09:14 PM »
Uncase and load it before heading into woods.  Never lean it on a tree, I lay it on the ground if needed when setting up.  All my turkey guns have slings. Unload and case when I am leaving the woods.  Not a law here, I just do it.

A good tip that a buddy of mine gave me for those of us that hunt public land is to fold the soft case in your truck so that it is obviously empty as you leave. Makes it less tempting for some scumbag to break into your truck as they already know there is no gun in the case. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2023, 04:51:29 PM »
A good tip that a buddy of mine gave me for those of us that hunt public land is to fold the soft case in your truck so that it is obviously empty as you leave. Makes it less tempting for some scumbag to break into your truck as they already know there is no gun in the case.

Seeing that folded case, it might also make them think that there is someone watching them nearby with a loaded gun in their possession...   ;D :angel9: