OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: When do you load your gun?  (Read 6152 times)

Offline captfire

Re: When do you load your gun?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 12:45:24 PM »
 I GET EVERY THING REDDY THE NIGHT BEFORE AND LOAD MY GUN THAT WAY WHEN I GET OUT OF THE TRUCK I'AM READDY TO GO ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 08:24:48 AM »
I GET EVERY THING REDDY THE NIGHT BEFORE AND LOAD MY GUN THAT WAY WHEN I GET OUT OF THE TRUCK I'AM READDY TO GO ...
You would get arrested here in NY for having a loaded firearm (That is not a handgun) in the vehicle. I do not leave gun in vehicle anyway, not judging, just not my practice.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 09:18:47 AM »
I once had a hog charge me in the dark walking in to deer hunt. Heard him coming and it was foggy so I could only see about ten or twelve feet. Aimed my headlamp as far as I could see. Fired as he came into the light. That to say, I ain’t walking anywhere I hunt without a round chambered. That goes for shotgun or rifle. Can’t understand why in the world there would be a law against it, or why anyone would have hesitation if it wasn’t required by law. No more dangerous than carrying the gun loaded at any other time and either you shoot before legal light or you don’t. A loaded gun isn’t a fired gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2022, 07:28:54 PM »
I load my Benelli SBE at the truck. I can't wait until I am in the woods or at my tree because you have to allow the mag to slam shut on a Benelli and that makes too much noise. 

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 08:22:22 PM »
I find it funny that some have an issue with walking in the woods with a loaded shotgun and the safety on.

But I guess that's the same guys who don't keep one in the pipe if they conceal carry.
:z-winnersmiley:

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »

But I guess that's the same guys who don't keep one in the pipe if they conceal carry.

And are sticklers about making sure that when posing with a harvested deer, the action is visibly open.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2022, 07:59:59 PM »
If I am on a trip, it is unloaded until we get there, but otherwise if I am by myself (90% of the time), it is loaded until either shot, end of the year or I am on a trip with someone.

Same with the 1911 that hangs on my steering column. Cocked and locked at all times.

Offline budtripp

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2022, 12:06:01 AM »
Gets loaded opening morning when I leave the truck, usually stays that way. Just slide the action back and take the shell out of the chamber if I feel it neccessary (using an 870). There's most always two rounds in the magazine until season closes or I tag out.

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »
First question: Define "loaded"?  To me, there is a big difference between having rounds in the magazine and having a round in the chamber.  "Loaded" to me is having a round in the chamber.  I do not put a round in the chamber until I reach a point where I am close enough to a gobbler that I think he might hear the sound  and perhaps alert him.  If I am hunting with someone, I want them to do the same. 

It only takes one misstep for what is supposed to be a joyous time to turn into an irreversible tragedy.  I personally know two individuals who were involved in hunting accidents that resulted in the deaths of their friends.  I will do everything I can to make sure that does not happen under my watch with the people I hunt with.  Shells in the magazine cannot inadvertently kill someone,...shells in the chamber when it is not necessary most certainly can.

I appreciate your safe minded approach. For me, if a young person is on the trip, I am pretty much for keeping the barrel clean until we are close to prime time. Also, if a large hunting party is along, these days (not so much years ago when more folks were excellent woodsmen/gun oriented), I am big on keeping the barrels cleared as long as possible.

But - if I am hunting by myself, my gun is loaded from the truck. If I am with someone who I fully trust to handle their firearm properly, I don't have an issue with going ahead and loading up pretty soon after leaving the truck. For me, no matter when folks load up it is about barrel safety. My Dad beat it into my head many moons ago to never point the barrel at anything you don't intend to kill. If I am in the woods with someone, my attention is always centered on making sure my barrel is pointed away from anyone with me. I don't make a big deal or say anything, but that never leaves my mind if I am hunting with someone. That said, the areas I hunt are pretty steep and rough and I am usually by myself more times than not as most don't like to climb all day long to kill a turkey.

But here is the point that we all have to consider, if we are in the woods and we find that a member of our party tends to wind up with his barrel in our direction at times throughout the day, that has to be addressed and quickly. I unfortunately tend to cease to hunt with that type individual. I can still be their friend in a dozen other ways without hunting with them. It is just not worth it and even though I am a very patient person most times, when it comes to barrel control with others in the woods I just don't have much patience. Just not worth it.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »
I never knew that carrying a loaded gun in the dark, or setting a loaded
gun on the ground was a problem until now.

Offline kayl

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 12:10:38 AM »
I load as soon as I'm ready to head out from my vehicle. That goes for deer and turkey. Pheasants as soon as we're stepping in the field.

Offline Archivist13

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 09:40:19 PM »
I load as soon as I shut the vehicle door even if it won't be light for a couple hours. Two reasons. 1. Less noise where I actually want to hunt. 2. I'm not afraid of the dark at all, actually prefer it, but it's always a little comforting knowing my gun is loaded.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 10:08:36 AM »
Load my gun at the cabin before leaving or load it before i leave the truck... i always follow the rules of treating your gun as loaded all the time regardless if it is or not...

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 06:04:01 PM »
I once had a hog charge me in the dark walking in to deer hunt. Heard him coming and it was foggy so I could only see about ten or twelve feet. Aimed my headlamp as far as I could see. Fired as he came into the light. That to say, I ain’t walking anywhere I hunt without a round chambered. That goes for shotgun or rifle. Can’t understand why in the world there would be a law against it, or why anyone would have hesitation if it wasn’t required by law. No more dangerous than carrying the gun loaded at any other time and either you shoot before legal light or you don’t. A loaded gun isn’t a fired gun.

Amen big man. If I am by myself my gun is loaded before I leave the truck. I had to shoot my way out of a pack of wild dogs years ago one morning about an hour before daylight. Got really hairy for a moment and had I not have a gun, I am not sure I would be here today. Went back after daylight and found two of the approximately 6-8 (not fully sure as it was still black dark) laying dead, and I did not know there were dogs that looked that bad. Almost like something out of Mad Max and the Thunderdome. It was so dark, all I could do was put them in the center of my Leupold and pull the trigger. But I got two and the rest decided to forego their plan to take me out and fled. That said, I don't go into the woods even in the off season without a gun. At the least, I will have a 9mm or something in tow with me.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2022, 01:03:20 AM »
Can’t understand why in the world there would be a law against it, or why anyone would have hesitation if it wasn’t required by law. No more dangerous than carrying the gun loaded at any other time and either you shoot before legal light or you don’t. A loaded gun isn’t a fired gun.

While I think it can be safe, I also think that walking out in the dark to a turkey hunting spot is more dangerous than daytime hunting...

Many hunters are carrying gear (some probably too much), and often over uneven terrain or through brush with poor (or no) lighting in the dark.  Gun gets bumped the wrong way, or goes through brush, a fall allows something to jar the trigger...  While unlikely, any of these situations could cause the gun to accidentally fire.

As I mentioned, I generally load the gun when I leave the truck...  Even if I fall, it would be awfully tough to shoot myself with a shotgun strapped to my back...  But...  If I am hunting with a partner, I will often wait until we are to the spot before "we" load.

And...  While I am sure you are safe, I would not make the assumption about everyone else.  I have seen my share of accidental firings, and I was present when my father was shot quail hunting...  Two biggest factors of gun safety I can think of, are make no assumptions, and muzzle control.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.