turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Complete novice to hunting in general

Started by markelljones, March 27, 2022, 07:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I did grow up hunting, but not turkey hunting...  Self taught.  Here are some things to consider about turkey hunting:

Tight choke is preferred.  I use a full choke, lots of guys go tighter.

Small shot (i.e. #6 shot) is better for turkeys that larger shot...  You HAVE to make a head shot on a turkey for a solid kill.

Box call is the easiest/most simple call to make turkey sounds on.  Next is probably a pot call.  Mouth calls are more difficult and take considerably more practice, but are more versatile.  Start with a good box call.

If you think the bird is close enough...  It is NOT.  You will KNOW the bird is close enough when it is.

As far as camo, I believe color is more important that pattern.

Movement... DON't  If you can see the bird, they can see you twitch your finger.  Wait until the bird is behind an obstruction to move (as in moving the gun).

They hear as good as they see.  Turkey hunting is NOT a time to catch up on conversation.

You MUST shoot these birds in the head.  Hold point for most guns is at or just above where the neck meets the feathers.  Most misses are high.

#6 lead works fine.  Hevi-Shot is better...  TSS is better yet.  (I use Hevi-Shot, and it has not failed me).

Listen to some YouTube videos showing turkey sounds...  Many new hunters do not associate some of the sounds turkeys make, with turkeys...  (i.e. last year my daughter thought close drumming birds were frogs).

My theory on calling is to call as little as possible, but as much as I have to.  Most times less is more...  Sometimes more is better.  If you call too much that bird will expect (you) the hen to come to him...  I call more if there is another hen involved.

I grew up hunting, and was hunting in a turkey rich environment...  Made a ton of mistakes.  Took me a season to kill a bird on property that all I had to do was sit somewhere, and eventually a turkey would have bumped into me.  (I would love to hunt that ranch again).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Upfold99

Shoot your gun.  POI and POA are rarely the same.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

This forum has a wealth of info so read up. Like others said don't get caught up in the gear craze. Patience, persistence and good woodsmanship will fill tags. Not expensive gear. Keep it simple. I'd recommend a push button box call for your first call. Something like a Quaker Boy easy yelper. You can make any sound on that thing you'll need to call in a bird. Most importantly just enjoy your time in the woods with friends and be safe and have fun.

Paulmyr

A bunch of good comment here.

I think Marc was correct in how he explained where to shoot a turkey but I think the label was a little off. When you shoot a turkey you want the pattern centered on his neck. It has a much bigger vital area than the small brain and aiming where Marc describes brings all his vitals into play. You want his head up when you shoot so the neck is stretched out exposing more area for shot to hit.

Don't shoot a strutting gobbler. When in strutt his neck tends to be  covered by a thick jelly like fatty deposit that's stored where the neck meets the breast.

If you break his neck he's not going anywhere. If you shoot for his head, half of your pattern will miss his head and neck area. Aiming for the neck puts all of his vitals in the pattern area and concentrates the shot where it is needed most.

Some gobblers are extremely wary. They peek at you from over logs and through holes in the brush. When you get a gobbler like this a head shot is warranted and that's the only time I would recommend a head shot.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.