OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where do you aim on his head?

Started by Uncle Tom, March 21, 2022, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Tom

Don't believe have ever heard this discussed before, so where do you like for that swarm of shot to hit on that gobbler...where do you put that bead or red dot? I like mine to put most of the shot below top of his head, covering him from head to feet. Got mine zeroed to hit where his waddles hang, about 5-6" below his head. I know this will put a lot of shot in his breast but if hitting higher you could shoot over him, so what you guys say?

ChesterCopperpot

Wattles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacire

My shot gun shoots about a 60/40 patten at point of aim, so I aim from the wattles to the middle of the neck depending on how his heads stretch out.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Bearcat1997

I have always aimed at the waddles

Loyalist84

jbrown

sasquatch1

Feather/skin line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

g8rvet

Depends on the gun I am shooting.  But currently all my modern firearms are feather/skin line as well.  If the bird is inside 40 the only pellet that would hit the breast would be a stray.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

MK M GOBL

I kill them where the skin meets the feathers at the bottom of the neck (major caruncles) with the shotgun.

Of course, sometimes you get them in too close and this can happen at 11 steps and Long Beard Loads.

MK M GOBL

Marc

Most shotguns shoot a tad high (70/30 in many clay guns, and 60/40 is common in most hunting guns).

I shoot a bead...  I generally put the bead a hair above where the skin meets the feathers.

Only two birds I have missed, I could only see their head/neck, and put the bead on the head...  One was on the other side of a small knoll, and never saw him after I missed...  Second time was in tall grass (some years later), and once again put the bead on the head (cause that was all I could see.  After I missed, he popped his head up again, but this time I held lower. ;D

A couple times on close birds, I was afraid of putting pellets into the meet, and held higher, and shot the tops of the birds' heads off.  Now, I always put the bead where the skin meets the neck, or where that would be if the bird is behind an obstruction or grass (with his head exposed).

I would think that with optics or a red dot, you would put it where you want to hit the bird???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

SwampRooster17

Wattles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Yoder409

Wherever I want.

Most turkey guns, including mine, have some type of adjustable sighting system.  I use red dots.  I can put my POI anywhere I want in relation to my POA.  So, if I wanted to aim at the bird's feet or put daylight between the dot and the top of his head........ I can.  That being said........ I have every gun sighted in for a wattle POA.  Or, as I like to tell the kids, "Where the feathers meet the skin".
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gobbler428

Wattles