OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.410 301 patterns

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, March 20, 2022, 03:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Well this is my first time posting info on shotgun patterns.  Been waiting to shoot my Stevens 301 .410 for some time and yesterday was my chance.  Tested 3 chokes (factory, IC .385, IC 390) and 3 loads (Apex Ninja 9.5, Foxtrot 383 Strokers 9.5, Verdict 9.5).  All these are 7/8 oz loads.  Results below are from the factory choke and IC .390 as the IC .385 patterns and numbers were obviously unacceptable and I didn't count them.  These are all at 40 yards that I checked with a rangefinder at the muzzle.  I have a Swampfox Kingslayer green circle dot reflex sight and I was using a bench rest with a forearm vice.  I used a bore snake between each shot.  These are holes in a 10" circle.  When the pattern didn't seem centered (only 2 shots) I moved the 10" circle to where it looked like the center of the pattern.

Apex w/ factory choke = 136
Apex w/ IC .390 = 111
Foxtrot w/ factory choke = 109
Foxtrot w/ IC .390 = 150
Verdict w/ factory choke = 157
Verdict w/ IC .390 = 163

The Verdict was the clear winner with not much difference between the factory choke and the IC .390.

Here's a picture of the Verdict/IC .390 combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

RED NECK

I'd be happy with that at 40 yards from a .410. I wish I had access to all those different brands and sizes of ammo. Good luck with the new setup!
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on March 20, 2022, 04:51:01 PM
I'd be happy with that at 40 yards from a .410. I wish I had access to all those different brands and sizes of ammo. Good luck with the new setup!
I'm satisfied with it.  It sure is a lot different than shooting my 835s.  I shot those yesterday too and the target is typically annihilated even at 40 yards.  They sure throw good patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.