OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What about Jakes?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Brillo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
What about Jakes?
« on: March 18, 2022, 04:44:51 PM »
I am just learning that seasoned turkey hunters have an aversion to shooting jakes.  I believe the thinking is that it removes the one year old birds from next years flock.  Or is it because seasoned turkey hunters are so much more capable that a jake is too easy?  I have only been able to call in jakes but have not shot one simply because I missed.  Twice in fact, but it was a total riot. I have a hard time not laughing out loud when jakes come in to my calling.  Do I need to raise my standards?

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Re: What about Jakes?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »
No. Shoot what makes you happy. I’ll personally pass on bearded hens, but otherwise I’d have no qualms killing a jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:10:03 PM »
As long as it’s legal do what makes you happy. Personally I try to hold off on jakes until the last week of season then I’ll take what I can get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline SM

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 07:53:00 PM »
No. Shoot what makes you happy. I’ll personally pass on bearded hens, but otherwise I’d have no qualms killing a jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Pass on a bearded hen ( In over 45 years turkey hunting, I've never seen one)
but I'd shoot a jake. I might only get to hunt 2,3 maybe 4 times a season, and mostly on weekends. If I got to hunt anytime I wanted then it most likely would be a different story.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 12:07:55 PM by SM »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 09:15:25 AM »
Personally, I don't give a squat about whether someone decides to shoot a jake or not.  If you want to shoot a turkey and a jake shows up, have at it.  However, there are many reasons why I don't shoot jakes myself.

The first is that I have killed enough turkeys that killing a jake to say I killed another one is just not that important to me.  I fully understand how others might look at that differently based on their own experience.

Secondly, I have done most of my turkey hunting in areas where, if a guy holds out long enough and hunts hard enough, he is likely going to have an opportunity to kill a mature gobbler.  I am willing to take that chance at the risk of possibly ending up with an unfilled tag.  Again, it is just not that important to me.

Next, one of the primary reasons I hunt spring gobblers in for "the gobble".  My enjoyment of the hunt is directly correlated to how much gobbling I hear out there in the turkey woods.  Knowing that two-year-old gobblers have the tendency to gobble a lot, I am reluctant to shoot those birds when they are one-year-olds.  I look forward to hearing them ringing the woods with gobbles next year if I leave them alone this year.  But again, that's just me...

Finally, some folks claim to shoot jakes to obtain "turkey meat".  Sorry fellers, I ain't buyin' that.  If you need "turkey meat" that badly, it is a whole lot cheaper to run down to your local grocery store.  In my mind the "turkey-meat excuse" too often just comes with the underlying mind-set of "I've got to shoot this turkey so I can say I killed my limit and prove I am a really good turkey hunter".  Fact is, if you are a "really good turkey hunter", you are more than willing to let those jakes go and leave those tags unfilled.  Each of us needs to look in the mirror and see how you fit in that particular puzzle. 

...But again, that's just the view from here... 

Offline randy6471

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 05:56:48 PM »
 As usual my thoughts are pretty similar to GobbleNut. It’s your hunt, so I think you should shoot whatever makes you happy. My guess is that unless you are limited by lack of time or lack of turkeys, after you shoot a couple of jakes, you will find yourself passing jakes for an opportunity at a more mature gobbler.

I’ve killed my share of gobblers, so no reason to shoot a jake. Every year I hunt at least 2-3 different states and in most places that I hunt, I usually have good amount of turkeys, few other hunters and plenty of time to hunt, so I know that as long as I stick with it...I will get some opportunities to shoot a mature gobbler. I also won’t necessarily shoot a gobbler just to fill a tag and I have no problem ending my season with an unfilled tag. I’ve passed up gobblers, especially later in the season because....

I had already killed some bigger/better gobblers that year.
  I don’t care to eat more than a couple of turkeys per year.
  I don’t care to clean more than a couple of turkeys per year
  Once he is dead.....I will never be able to hear him gobble again.

Hunt for you and nobody else.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 08:41:43 PM by randy6471 »

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 12:36:12 AM »
Much like GobbleNut, I have shot enough birds that I do not feel the need or satisfaction in shooting a jake.  Much of the fun of turkey hunting is shooting a bird on my own terms...

When I first started, I killed a few jakes, and was thrilled to do so!  Tough season, and few birds around, I might do so again.

Trying to get my daughter out this season, and if a jake presents a good shooting opportunity, it will go home with us...  And I am guessing she will be thrilled! 

Whenever I take a new-comer, I encourage them to shoot a jake if I do not think there will be other opportunities.

But...  There is something especially satisfying about killing a big ol' tom...  And there have been seasons, when I have spotted a tom, that I set out after for the season, and finally got him...  Those are the mornings that you just sit, relax, and relish the moment for a bit after the bird is down.

My advice might be different than others, but I say get a few birds under your belt, and then get picky.  if you are missing, you'd better figure out why?  Taking out some experienced bird hunters, but inexperienced turkey hunters, they all tend to want to shoot them waaay too far out...  Honestly...  A close turkey is tough to miss.  (Although I have done it)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 12:52:28 AM »
Much like GobbleNut, I have shot enough birds that I do not feel the need or satisfaction in shooting a jake.  Much of the fun of turkey hunting is shooting a bird on my own terms...

When I first started, I killed a few jakes, and was thrilled to do so!  Tough season, and few birds around, I might do so again.

Trying to get my daughter out this season, and if a jake presents a good shooting opportunity, it will go home with us...  And I am guessing she will be thrilled! 

Whenever I take a new-comer, I encourage them to shoot a jake if I do not think there will be other opportunities.

But...  There is something especially satisfying about killing a big ol' tom...  And there have been seasons, when I have spotted a tom, that I set out after for the season, and finally got him...  Those are the mornings that you just sit, relax, and relish the moment for a bit after the bird is down.

My advice might be different than others, but I say get a few birds under your belt, and then get picky.  if you are missing, you'd better figure out why?  Taking out some experienced bird hunters, but inexperienced turkey hunters, they all tend to want to shoot them waaay too far out...  Honestly...  A close turkey is tough to miss.  (Although I have done it)

Much the same, we let the youngsters shoot a jake for there first bird. We’re allowed three birds in my state, last spring I shot a nice tom early in the season. On my last two days I passed on four different jakes all at 15 to 20 yards. For me a jake is like a first year spike or forked deer, I’ll try to shoot him next year.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 01:16:31 AM »
Other than it is a sin, who am I to make a jake killing my business.  We all sin in some endeavor.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:06:11 PM by silvestris »
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 02:06:59 AM »
It is all a personal choice, I called in these 5 the last day of the season, all withing 25-30 yards and they were the only turkey I had seen all season but being they were jakes and I think maybe 2 hens I just decided I would rather let them go until this season and hunt them when they are a little older, a little wiser and actually what I feel more trophy worthy that being longer beards and spurs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 02:23:47 AM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 09:37:01 AM »
It is all a personal choice, I called in these 5 the last day of the season, all withing 25-30 yards and they were the only turkey I had seen all season but being they were jakes and I think maybe 2 hens I just decided I would rather let them go until this season and hunt them when they are a little older, a little wiser and actually what I feel more trophy worthy that being longer beards and spurs.

There you go, Sir.

Offline Brillo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 09:24:12 PM »
Thanks all, this helps me get a better perspective.  I have lots of time to hunt and our limit is one so I am going to hold out until later in the season this year.   As to my gun... I think I have that solved.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 09:41:51 PM »
In my state it is illegal to take a jake but this season i have called in two jakes 5 different times, full gobble, spitting and drumming, great hunts but short beards, they walked by me yesterday at maybe 8 steps and i know one was at lest 17 pounds, big for a jake in Ms.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2022, 05:18:51 PM »
I have taken a a couple jakes that played the game - gobbled and strutted and came to my calls, even after I had a few longbeards under my belt.  I have passed on many others. I also passed the one and only bearded hen I had in range.  I have seen others, but this one was 20 yards.  Have fun and hunt the way you want.  I think Marc said it is cool to get one and then start getting more selective. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 12:18:48 PM »
Everyone has reasons for doing what they do or how they do it. If you’re inclined for whatever reason to shoot jakes and nothing you’re doing is hurting a resource have at it. In time you may decide you want to be pickier only because you want to enjoy the season longer and not have it over quickly for instance. Do that on your pace. Don’t worry what anyone else does.