OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patience

Started by ClayR089, March 18, 2022, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClayR089

Everyone says patience is #1 key to success to harvesting a bird. What is the dividing line between patience and wasting time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Great question that we all wish we knew the answer too. I think experience will help and also to understand the particular situation you are in with each setup ex: if he is alone or has hens-  is it multiple gobblers - is he responding or just giving a courtesy gobble - etc.... but I will say this patience has helped me kill many gobblers others would have not killed simply by staying with the bird or setup!

Happy

For me its whether I am in actually the game or if I am just sitting on my @$$ and hoping. I won't do the later for long.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Not everyone says that.   Most of the people I know who are very successful on both private and public has patience way down their list of go to tactics.   The dividing line is knowledge and experience.   The more knowledge you have the less dependent you become on patience, and this holds true with experience as well.   Although some people with lots of experience still lack the knowledge and are more reliant on patience.   I always say patiently aggressive kills turkeys.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Yoder409

Gonna be totally truthful.............

I haven't been hunting these birds as long as some on these forums.  But this will be my 43rd year, I believe.

I can honestly say, in that number of years, I have killed more gobblers by being IMPATIENT than patient.

I have absolutely NO problem with getting up and walking away from a lukewarm bird at 150 yards and hauling butt to a bird gobbling hard on its own 500 or 600 yards away.  Babe Winkleman told me one time...........in reference to fishing one spot for walleyes......... "If you're hunting rabbits and you kick a brush pile and a rabbit doesn't run out.......are you gonna keep kicking the same brush pile or are you gonna go find another one to kick ??"

Many, MANY times over the years, I've gone on to another brush pile when hunting spring birds.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

strum

This is that age old problem.   Ive  messed up both ways.  Got up too soon and been busted . And Ive sat too long and regretted it. The situation calls for either.  I sat one day hearing a gobbler thinking I should stay put and call hoping he would come. After 20 mins of him not moving I couldn't stand it and made a move in a better, closer spot. This proved to be the way to go and i took him home. Patience would have lost out that day . So to me "when " to use patience is the important thing.  Your question was  What is that dividing line?    Too many variables . Experience, skill, but mostly luck  dictates that line.

NCL

X2 what Strum stated. I remember a hunt where had a single gobble. I normally wait about an hour when  I hear a gobble, on this occasion it was close to noon, it was hot, I was hungry and had a long walk out so only waited about half an hour. Started out and there he is standing in the middle of the trail. He was gone in an instant. Had other instances where they were gobbling and stayed put and they eventually quit,

g8rvet

Couple of thoughts. 

On at least three instances, early in my turkey hunting career, I started out calling in a spot, had a bird answer one or two times and then I moved on.  Within an hour or so the bird gobbled right back where I had been. 

My brother's FIL told him that if a bird answered his call from the roost, he would sit tight and more often than not that bird would be back before closing time (noon in those days).  He killed a pile of birds on hard hunted public land with an old SxS and high brass 6s, so he was calling them in close.

I think I range somewhere in the middle on patience and aggressive.  One of my favorite birds I took was a big mature gobbler using a small farm I hunted.  Never heard him, only knew he was there from the strut marks late in the season.  I sat up and called quiet and infrequent and he showed up in full strut all the way to his death.  He spit and he drummed and he showed out, but never gobbled once. 

I reckon it is all situational and I think I chose wrong more than right, but when it is right, it feels pretty sporty.  Good luck everyone.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Paulmyr

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2022, 10:04:39 AM
Not everyone says that.   Most of the people I know who are very successful on both private and public has patience way down their list of go to tactics.   The dividing line is knowledge and experience.   The more knowledge you have the less dependent you become on patience, and this holds true with experience as well.   Although some people with lots of experience still lack the knowledge and are more reliant on patience.   I always say patiently aggressive kills turkeys.
It's hard for me to argue with that right there.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Marc

I watched an interesting podcast hosting someone studying turkey movements...

They had trackers on birds, and trackers on hunters hunting the areas with the birds (public areas I believe).  A surprsing number of birds went into the location of the hunters some 1-2 hours after the hunters had left that location.

That being said...  The odds of me sitting/hunting a spot for hours, with likely a quiet bird coming in...  Ain't gonna' happen.  It simply would not be fun for me.

While I have hunted quiet birds, I won't sit in a spot for hours for one.  I much prefer to have some sort of interaction with the birds I am hunting...  That cat&mouse game is fun to play for me.

Admittedly, I have left birds and areas on birds that were seemingly non-responsive, only to walk back through later and hear that bird response, or worse bump them...

But...  You could also sit in a good spot all day, and never see (or hear) a bird...

Bottom line for me, is that I have as much patience as I can stand while still having fun hunting....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

randy6471

Experience and pre-season scouting go a long way with me as far as how patient I am. If it's early in the season and especially if I know that I'm hunting a dominant gobbler with hens, then I'm not nearly as patient. Later in the season...I'm more likely to hang with them longer.

Also to Marc's point, I have some places where I hunt that I'm able to run and gun a good bit. If I leave a bird and take off looking for another, I like to double back a couple hours later to somewhere near my original spot and do some calling. Many times I've been able to fire up a gobbler not too far from my original set up.

silvestris

The longer I hunt turkeys, the more I enjoy the antics of the other critters about, mostly songbirds.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ChesterCopperpot

When to wait, when to take off running is entirely situational, but I don't think there's any such thing as wasting time in the woods. You ought to be walking around like a sponge soaking up every detail. And inevitably on the days you come home empty handed you'll be plagued by the shoulda, woulda, coulda scenarios but who's to say if they'd have really worked in the moment. Maybe you sit there another three hours and nothing happens. Maybe you take off after him and bugger him as he's coming toward you. We do the best with whatever experience and knowledge and instinct we have in a given scenario and sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. The ones who tend to win more often are the ones who've been there before which goes back to the first statement and my overall point: there is no wasted time.

Meleagris gallopavo

I move based on what the turkeys are doing, my ability to move without being seen (which is based on cover or terrain), or if I've sat long enough that I don't see the point anymore.  I've sat in the same spot for 6 hours if the turkeys are close and I don't think I can move without being seen.  I learn something every time I go hunting, so I don't consider it wasted time.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

birdman67

For me, it's all about the knowledge of the bird you are hunting and the flock they are or are not with. If I'm hunting an old bird or a bird that has been pressured a lot, I will give it more time. If I am hunting a bird that is henned up and they aren't budging and the hens are taking them away, I may move quicker. Each situation is different in the turkey woods and sometimes there is no right or wrong answer. Something may work one time and not ever work again. It's all about weighing each situation and decide what is your best chance on the given day.
Loving God's Creation!