OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Goals?  (Read 974 times)

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Goals?
« on: March 17, 2022, 09:17:44 PM »
Anybody chasing slams, personal goals? I would like to get out west and hunt for a Merriam's, before I get much older.  Too old to go chasing all over the country, still need to go and hunt Elk somewhere. Hopefully I get to take my first coyote this year. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Re: Goals?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 11:11:23 PM »
Kill one with my new Lonnie Mabry glass/mahogany pot call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:51:19 AM »
Last year hunted a different zone, went in blind, found a flock on 3rd trip over. By the time I was able to get near them they had flown down and were heading to private. Called , got response from at least 3 Toms, heard a few jakes. Moved to where I think they were roosted, started calling again, flock was 2oo yds away. Dominate Tom would respond but they were on a mission to get to a private field where I would not have a chance. Another Tom was closer and started answering more as flock got farther away. He gobbled at 60yds , just over a slight rise, open woods but could not see him, battle went on for over 1 hour, just as I started to get up on my knee's to crawl to another tree, he moved 20yds to my right, knew he was coming, strutted into 35 with 2 jakes. Great hunt, going back to see if I can outwit Boss Tom this year, now that I know a little of their movements.

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »
I’ve only shot easterns and one Osceola. 
My goals not are to get a tom for all my kids.
My youngest (13) is the only child that hasn’t shot one.

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 03:13:31 PM »
I have a goal to kill a bird using one of the calls ive made in the offseason. If i can get it done eith either the wingbone yelper or one of the box calls i made i will be tickled pink.

Offline tanna114

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 01:48:37 PM »
Did my first out of state hunt last year and was looking forward to another one this year, but looks like I am going to have to wait until next year to chase another sub species.

My goal is to kill a bird with at least one of my kids along. My son has seen a few kills with me, but my daughter is itching to go this year as well. She turns 6 on the 3rd day of my first season and is quite chatty, so who knows how that will go. I pretty much need to have a bird roosted and get a blind up over decoys to have any chance with the kids along.