OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Frames

Started by TrackeySauresRex, March 16, 2022, 08:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

I'm getting a new jig to play with. This is my first question. Adhesive or no adhesive? And why?

Thank You All
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

SCGobbler

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 16, 2022, 08:53:04 PM
I'm getting a new jig to play with. This is my first question. Adhesive or no adhesive? And why?

Thank You All
Johnny
Adhesive. I had problems with the non-adhesive frames. I had issues with the reeds slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

TrackeySauresRex

:icon_thumright:
[/quote]
Adhesive. I had problems with the non-adhesive frames. I had issues with the reeds slipping.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Thank You

GobbleNut

I have only used adhesive frames and do so just because it seems reasonable to think that non-adhesive frames would make it more difficult to secure the reeds so they could not slip.  My questions to those that may use non-adhesive frames are two-fold:
1)  Are there any advantages to using the non-adhesive frames over the adhesive frames, and if so, what are they? 
2)  How are the reeds secured to the frames such that they cannot slip? 

Answering my own question a bit here, but the only problem I have noticed with the adhesive frames is that, if you are not careful when slipping the frame onto the reeds, the adhesive will catch the reed material and screw up the reed positioning before crimping.  I always double-check the reeds to make sure that has not happened with each call, and adjust as needed, before securing the frames.

TrackeySauresRex

Fdept56

I know I'm in the minority but I hate adhesive frames. I bend my frames until their almost touching then slide the reeds in. Doing it this way, I have nothing but trouble with the reeds sticking. I don't think I've ever had the reeds slip from not using adhesive, but I leave a little excess around the edge of the frame that the tape helps hold in place also. I would suggest getting some of both before you decide.

Lonehowl

If you spray your own adhesive onto plain frames it can make things a little easier sometimes. Latex will slip on plain frames if stretched tight, whatever that may be, or with hard use.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Lonehowl on March 17, 2022, 12:49:12 PM
If you spray your own adhesive onto plain frames it can make things a little easier sometimes. Latex will slip on plain frames if stretched tight, whatever that may be, or with hard use.
Quote from: Fdept56 on March 17, 2022, 12:02:40 PM
I know I'm in the minority but I hate adhesive frames. I bend my frames until their almost touching then slide the reeds in. Doing it this way, I have nothing but trouble with the reeds sticking. I don't think I've ever had the reeds slip from not using adhesive, but I leave a little excess around the edge of the frame that the tape helps hold in place also. I would suggest getting some of both before you decide.

Thank you for great tips, I will consider. I'm strictly an amateur. However sometimes my calling is a wee bit better. I'm looking forward to tinkering with my new gadget hopefully I can get em to sound like I want.

tlewis81

i have both and i hate the adhesive frames very much a problem getting them on without sticking and getting the back tension i want it is a pain with adhesive