OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ever had a Text Book hunt?  (Read 735 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Ever had a Text Book hunt?
« on: March 16, 2022, 08:37:16 PM »
You know what I'm talking about. Turkey gobbles on the limb, you move into close position on him, you do some quiet tree talk, he sails off of the limb within shotgun range and you shoot him seconds after he hits the ground.

Is this a mere fantasy or have you actually experienced this string of events?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Gmed

Re: Ever had a Text Book hunt?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:22:56 PM »
Done it five times….twice by myself and three times for my boy. Only twice did we have decoys out. The others, were just as you described. Set up close, little low roost talk and flop down to us. We run and gun and seldom have time to set up decoys. Interestingly, of the five times, three times more than one gobbler came in together…..

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Ever had a Text Book hunt?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »
Yes sir, those make some memorable hunts even if they don't take to long. I've had them pitch and land within 12yds of me and I've had some that dropped off the limb and came in so early that you couldn't see anything but a dark hazy object with a glowing white head coming through the woods straight to the tree I was sitting on. I've been blessed enough to have them pitch out and land, well almost land I'm not sure if both feet hit the ground or not before its over.
I've had some good ones but probably the craziest was the one where my daughter and dad doubled then I called in a third bird a few min later from a ways off and shot it in the same spot right next to the other two birds.  It literally looked like a duck hunt when they pitch out of the tree and made a hard u-turn and landed 12 steps from us then blew up in full strut.
They don't happen a lot but when they do they sure are special.