OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2022 Story Thread  (Read 12562 times)

Offline POk3s

Re: 2022 Story Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2022, 05:35:37 PM »
Way to put em down mossy!!

Offline Delmar ODonnell

2022 Story Thread
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2022, 04:56:47 PM »

Had maybe the most perfect turkey hunt I’ve ever had this morning. The last few weeks have been absolutely brutal. Seems spring is a little later this year. The 2 birds I got on this morning are a couple of the few that have even answered a call. They were in a perfect mood this morning. I got fairly tight to them off the roost. They pitched away from me and started covering ground fast, and it definitely seemed like they had a destination in mind. Once they got to wherever they wanted to go, I was confident they would be ready to play if I got in their bubble.

I followed behind them and finally arrived on one of the prettiest ridges I’ve been on. They were on the far end and I got within a 100 yards and started playing the game. It was every turkey hunters dream. They answered the call well and let out one gobble so loud and so close at the very end that i could feel it. It also allowed me to point my gun barrel in the perfect direction, in the perfect opening, in the sun. At 7:45 one of the 2 stepped over the crest at 36 yards and I ended it. It was so perfect and I was sad the game was over after the fact.

I don’t know how many “perfect” turkey hunts a man can have in a lifetime, but I am so blessed to have one this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:13:28 PM by Delmar ODonnell »

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2022, 05:37:30 PM »
I’d agree that was a perfect morning…congrats man!

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »
Sounds like a “dream” hunt. Congratulations

Offline zsully

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2022, 09:10:47 PM »
Congrats Delmar! Great hunt!!!!!

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2022, 10:12:23 PM »
Perfect hunt.............perfect pics..............

You are on a ROLL, brother !!!!    CONGRATS !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2022, 12:21:35 AM »
Awesome!!!! Congrats Del!!! I can't wait for Pa to open

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2022, 10:02:24 AM »

I was fortunate enough to take my last Mississippi bird yesterday afternoon. After sitting out yesterday morning because of stormy weather, I decided to go out yesterday afternoon after getting some schoolwork done. While checking a trail for fresh tracks, I saw this gobbler through the woods, by himself, with a vibrant red head. He saw me, but I didn’t think he would go too far.

I drove around him, and thought I better check him from a distance before diving in after him. I let out 3 bubble clucks, and he crushed it immediately. I quickly gained 100 more yards and sat up. He gobbled the entire way down my gun barrel. He came in throwing caution to the wind. Unfortunately, he was beep-bopping through the timber so much I couldn’t get a shot I was comfortable with, despite him being at 20 yards. I watched him walk away gobbling, hoping I hadn’t just blown my chance.

10 minutes later he gobbled about 300 yards away in another bottom, and it sounded like he was content being there after boogering slightly at the first set up. I didn’t think I would be able to call him from that far as I did the first time, so I slowly worked my way down to his level. He crushed the call, and I was just sitting down when I saw his head rise from below the crest. I let him strut and drum one last time, and I used that moment to get my gun ready. When he raised his head again, it was between the tiniest gap in the trees, but at 21 yards I knew my pattern would meet its mark.

He’s a beauty of a gobbler. It is always bittersweet to take my last bird here at home, but I’m very thankful for him. I’m also thankful for getting to play the game twice with him, finishing the hunt about 45 minutes after calling him up the first time.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2022, 10:25:08 AM »
Congrats again!!! Way to go man!  Awesome story and pictures

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2022, 02:40:02 PM »
ATTA BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Again.............   :you_rock:

Great story !!!   Ain't it great to have a willing participant for assisted suicide ???    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Delmar ODonnell

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2022, 03:17:53 PM »
ATTA BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Again.............   :you_rock:

Great story !!!   Ain't it great to have a willing participant for assisted suicide ???    :icon_thumright:

Thank You! Yessir it sure is! You earn them all one way or another, but it sure is nice to run into one in that kinda mood! Best advice I give people is to go enough to get lucky; it'll make you forget about any hardships or struggles fast!

Offline POk3s

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2022, 04:49:10 PM »
VERY well done my friend! Those perfect ones are the ones that will keep a guy coming back hoping to replay that very scenario again. A couple more weeks yet for me. My dad and I are headed in a merriams road trip over Easter weekend and then I’ll be headed out to random places after that!

Offline zsully

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2022, 09:31:15 PM »
Way to go Delmar!!!! You sure know how to make a guy jealous! Congrats again!

Offline a_jabbo

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2022, 11:47:30 PM »
Freakin AWESOME, Del!!!! Heck of a season for you in your home state. Hopefully I can have a little bit of that same luck. Congrats

Offline zsully

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2022, 11:05:30 PM »
MG!!!!!!! Congrats on a stellar bird! At the risk of calling you out and putting you on the spot, I think you owe us northern folk a story! Congratulations again man! Well done!