Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2022 Story Thread

Started by Delmar ODonnell, March 16, 2022, 03:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Tagged out in VA on the last day.  Saw him with 3 hens walking the edge of a field at 300 yards, but I figured they'd cross the field to my side far to my left.  I sat tight for about 15 mins and he gobbled once, still pretty far away but on my side.  I yelped and clucked a bit but no answer.  About 10 mins go by and I hear one of the hens yelping.  I yelped back and she answered back.  She brought him right to me in no time and I popped him.  That ends my season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

twyatt

Congrats MG!!!!! And on the last day! Great job

Yoder409

HOT DOGGY !!!!!!!!    :z-guntootsmiley:

Nothing like pulling out a win in the bottom of the 9th !!!!!

CONGRATS !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: twyatt on May 14, 2022, 05:05:17 PM
Congrats MG!!!!! And on the last day! Great job
Thanks man!  It was a wet morning for sure where I was.  It stopped raining by 9:30 or so and I actually dried off a bit before I killed him. 

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 14, 2022, 06:31:17 PM
HOT DOGGY !!!!!!!!    :z-guntootsmiley:

Nothing like pulling out a win in the bottom of the 9th !!!!!

CONGRATS !!!!!
Thanks!  I did that last year too.  Must be a thing for me.

POk3s

After leaving work friday evening I headed straight to my predetermined hunting location, getting close enough at about 11:30 and pulling over at a rest area for a couple hour snooze. Back up at 3:00 AM and walking up the hill by 4:00.

A handful of years ago I had found a roost tree. It's a big, dead ponderosa pine surrounded by live trees, and the turkeys love it. So that's where I was headed to setup. I figured if they weren't there, I'd be on the hunt. It's about a mile walk in from the nearest road, maybe a touch more, and just a gem of a public land spot.

I set up a single hen decoy, and got cuddled up to a wood pile. After the first hint of daylight, I got surprised when a gobble thundered from the tree. I'm within 150 yards, maybe even 100 yards, and things were looking up. About flydown time I let out a few yelps and it became apparent that I was surrounded by turkeys. Hens and jakes joined the party and quickly flew down while the big guy stayed in the tree.

I called the hens and jakes to 10 yards a couple different times, just trying to compete for the attention of the gobbler when he decided to make his appearance. Finally, after some hand to hand combat with the hens and jakes for 45 minutes, those turkeys moved off and the gobbler flew down. I was in perfect position as he flew down and worked his way toward the single hen decoy. When I figured I could kill him, I did just that and a perfect morning in the turkey woods was over. It was a great end to the year!

Sadly, he's not an upgrade for the team. It's hard to kill one smaller than I already had at 48 points but this guy had basically no spurs, the same whispy 8" merriams beard I'm accustomed to, and I never weighed him after noticing all that.

I had all the time in the world so I really tried to channel my inner Delmar and nail this pic. I think I did. Also, I made a video of this hunt and it will be out soon!

twyatt

Way to go POk!!! Congrats.  Great story and great picture!!!   What a beautiful bird

Meleagris gallopavo

Nice job POk!  You and Delmar need to give me some tips on improving my photo skills. 

Yoder409

Quote from: POk3s on May 15, 2022, 08:36:36 AM..... so I really tried to channel my inner Delmar ......

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I'm STILL laughing !!!!!!!!!!!

Best Killer B's post of the season !!!!!!!!

Great story and GREAT pic !!!!   Pretty sure itll get the Delmar Stamp of Approval.    :you_rock:

CONGRATS !!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

POk3s

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 15, 2022, 09:32:41 AM
Quote from: POk3s on May 15, 2022, 08:36:36 AM..... so I really tried to channel my inner Delmar ......

I'm STILL laughing !!!!!!!!!!!

Best Killer B's post of the season !!!!!!!!

Great story and GREAT pic !!!!   Pretty sure itll get the Delmar Stamp of Approval.    :you_rock:

CONGRATS !!!!!!!

HAHA! I always take great pride in pics but that dang Delmar just takes it to a whole new level! I really had to buckle down and nail every aspect!  ;D ;D

MG- I'm far from an expert but the biggest thing for me, is just utilizing self timer. I'll either prop my phone up on a log, my turkey vest, my turkey vest on top of a log, etc. you want your camera to be lower than you, but not so low where you're shooting nothing but grass. Then I'll have my turkey splayed out how I want him and be able to easily run back, spread the fan, and smile, is usually the way it goes. In that case I had my camcorder on a tripod already and it had a photo with self timer option.

POk3s

Thank you TW! (It's weird typing that as that's also my initials  :jackson: )

Tom007

Way to go my friends, your knocking down. Hunting NY this week to try and add to our Talley.......
"Solo hunter"

Mossyguy

Quote from: Tom007 on May 15, 2022, 06:29:40 PM
Way to go my friends, your knocking down. Hunting NY this week to try and add to our Talley.......

Go get em!

zsully

Congrats TW, MG and POK! Freaking good week right there. A_jabbo and I took a swing into Ohio for a couple days. It was hard hunting and man I got my butt kicked but A_jabbo owes us another story!! It was an awesome trip and we got to hang out with some traditional archery guys that were an absolute blast! Now I'm back and focused with one Pa tag left in my pocket. Time to go to work.

Tom007

Quote from: Mossyguy on May 15, 2022, 08:30:28 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on May 15, 2022, 06:29:40 PM

Go get em!

Close, had him in at about 50, couldn't see him, bad set up. Going back at him..........thx
"Solo hunter"