OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Playing a Long Box  (Read 3361 times)

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
Re: Playing a Long Box
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »
I'm still on the learning curve with a beggin machine and am getting better. If my health holds up I'm going out this year with a real nice box call from Whole Grain Box Calls. it has a real high, sharp front end with a sharp raspy bark on the back end. The hard part is softer calling but I'm gettin there. Just won't be going out much this year. Health problem to take care of. But a couple of trips to the turkey woods will be good for the heart and mind.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline Haymarket

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 09:16:35 PM »
My Culpeper made LongBox is my favorite call. It’s the one I always carry. I don’t think I’m great at playing it, but I like it and it works. I can cut loud to locate, and yelp, but after that I'm a little bit limited…but I like playing it and get responses. I do switch though to a slate when they get closer though, maybe this year I’ll try not to switch.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 10:11:58 PM »
a couple of trips to the turkey woods will be good for the heart and mind.

There's no doubt this is true, best of luck to you!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 08:45:09 AM »
I'm still on the learning curve with a beggin machine and am getting better. If my health holds up I'm going out this year with a real nice box call from Whole Grain Box Calls. it has a real high, sharp front end with a sharp raspy bark on the back end. The hard part is softer calling but I'm gettin there. Just won't be going out much this year. Health problem to take care of. But a couple of trips to the turkey woods will be good for the heart and mind.

Being out there...engaged with the woodlands, the song birds, the turkeys, listening to the morning awake, it's what it's all about.  Now and then don't be afraid to put very light finger pressure on a sound rail and run the box short, just getting the roll-over...experiment in the off season, you would be surprised of all the great turkey sounds

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 08:49:49 AM »
My Culpeper made LongBox is my favorite call. It’s the one I always carry. I don’t think I’m great at playing it, but I like it and it works. I can cut loud to locate, and yelp, but after that I'm a little bit limited…but I like playing it and get responses. I do switch though to a slate when they get closer though, maybe this year I’ll try not to switch.

As Packmule and others have said, there are a lot of excellent turkey sounds in a LB.  Try very short strokes near the middle right where the roll-over occcurs, you will be surprised to find a very similar sound that a scratch box offers.  Also try short abbreviated strokes toward the back end and you can find some great grovelly yelps and clucks and like a SB, you can put light, real light pressure on a sound rail and get clearer yelps...all in hopes of bringing that gobbler closer or getting him to break