OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Playing a Long Box

Started by culpeper, March 16, 2022, 09:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

I would imagine there are plenty of you guys who hunt in the spring with a long box in addition to your regular call arsenal.  I am interestd in how you play it, when do you run it, do you use it after a gobbler responds to it, do you primarily use it (yelping & cutting), to locate and then switch calls, have to tinkered with a LB during the off season to search for subtle clucks, tree calls, feeding sounds?

I have had some interesting conversations lately with other call makers and we suspect most guys don't experiment much with a LB as opposed to a SB, or their favorite pot call.  As mentioned recently, a LB is very diverse and offers a slew of turkeys, male and female.

Yoder409

I generally carry one box with me at a time.  So I'm all in with whichever it is.........long or short.  I always have a diaphragm in my cheek.  But if I start a bird with a box.....long or short......I'll finish him with it if I can.   Has a lot to do with the terrain, set-up, concealment and the particular bird's willingness to commit suicide.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Carried the same long box for two decades spending countless hours learning every centimeter of the rails. To the OP's point, that's where the long box really shines.

Its my first call of choice, about 85% of my spring calling is with that long box and about 95% of my fall calling. If I'm hunting alone I'll set it down when the bird is 75 yards out, soft clucks on a trumpet or mouth call. If I'm calling for someone else, I'll run the long box start to finish.

Guess lots of hunters consider a long box as just a long distance locator, and then use it that way. But the soft talk, and the number of different turkeys on each rail - young hen kee kees to gobbler yelps and gobbles, and everything in between, makes long boxes an outstanding spring and fall caller.

There's nothing a vest full of calls can do that a good long box can't.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

boatpaddle

"There's nothing a vest full of calls can do that a good long box can't."

Couldn't agree more with that statement...

The amount of realistic turkey talk in a boat paddle is endless,  "soft" or with slightly more volume..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Moh20

After buying a good long box and learning how to use it a few years ago my short boxes don't get out that often. But I still carry one.

Greg Massey

Most always a short box will have a higher pitch yelp and sharper clucks. Your long box because of size is just going to have more paddle to the rail than a short box. Your long box is just going to have more turkeys in the call. Your short box is always going to be easier to play than a long box and in most cases always easier to carry while hunting. The short box is going to purr where most long boxes can't make a good purr. With your long box your going to have more range in your high to low sounds with your rollover. Your short box is just down sizing from a long box with a lot less playing surface paddle to rail in my opinion. You have to give up something with each of them in easy of play and what sounds you want from each call. So i will choose a short box over a long box for my style of play. But again, i have nothing against a long box, but in the heat of battle i feel i can play thru the short box with less mistakes especially during the spring season. The fall season is a little different. IMO... Good post culpeper ....

Zobo

I almost always carry a shortbox and a long box. I use both the same way. I agree most long boxes have more sound variability. But I do have short boxes that can kee kee, gobbler/Jake yelp, old hen and Jenny yelp too.  So a lot depends on the box itself.
     I have longboxes that are screaming loud but I also have short boxes just as loud. So I don't see any reason to not use either interchangeably at any point during locating or calling in.
     I've had a lot of success using both a longbox and a shortbox at times during a day's hunt, sometimes using both while working a single bird.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on March 16, 2022, 10:45:27 PM
    ........... I don't see any reason to not use either interchangeably at any point during locating or calling in.
     I've had a lot of success using both a longbox and a shortbox at times during a day's hunt...........

^^^^^^^^^^

In a nutshell.   Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 16, 2022, 05:15:26 PM
"There's nothing a vest full of calls can do that a good long box can't."

Couldn't agree more with that statement...

The amount of realistic turkey talk in a boat paddle is endless,  "soft" or with slightly more volume..

^^^^^^^^^

AND this.
PA elitist since 1979

yelpy

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 16, 2022, 05:54:33 PM
Most always a short box will have a higher pitch yelp and sharper clucks. Your long box because of size is just going to have more paddle to the rail than a short box. Your long box is just going to have more turkeys in the call. Your short box is always going to be easier to play than a long box and in most cases always easier to carry while hunting. The short box is going to purr where most long boxes can't make a good purr. With your long box your going to have more range in your high to low sounds with your rollover. Your short box is just down sizing from a long box with a lot less playing surface paddle to rail in my opinion. You have to give up something with each of them in easy of play and what sounds you want from each call. So i will choose a short box over a long box for my style of play. But again, i have nothing against a long box, but in the heat of battle i feel i can play thru the short box with less mistakes especially during the spring season. The fall season is a little different. IMO... Good post culpeper ....

I have multiple long boxes that purr much better than a short box. It all in how they are tuned.

Yelper

I don't use a long box in the field but have a few and I have one by Albert Paul and the Screaming Hen and both have springs under the lid which I like because it is easier to play and don't have to manipulate the lid to get a good sound out of it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n9aRPk]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n9cmsb]

packmule

Quote from: Yelper on March 17, 2022, 04:00:36 PM
I don't use a long box in the field but have a few and I have one by Albert Paul and the Screaming Hen and both have springs under the lid which I like because it is easier to play and don't have to manipulate the lid to get a good sound out of it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n9aRPk]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2n9cmsb]

Springs on a longbox, training wheels .......  :TooFunny:
All kidding aside, Billy Bush and Tim Fralick make nice longboxes with springs too.

Bowguy

Idk why anyone carry's a short box. A long box does all of it better imo and much more. It a more versatile call. I don't even switch. Call em right to gun with it.

rong

I'll find out this season. I purchased my first longbox from ET Calls and am impressed with the versatility of the call. Given all the different pitches and tones I can get out of it I see myself hunting a lot lighter this year. Plan is the Longbox in a holster and a mouth call in my shirt pocket. Hope it works out. I tend to try to carry everything but the kitchen sink when I wear a vest.....

packmule

Quote from: rong on March 20, 2022, 08:24:16 AM
I'll find out this season. I purchased my first longbox from ET Calls and am impressed with the versatility of the call. Given all the different pitches and tones I can get out of it I see myself hunting a lot lighter this year. Plan is the Longbox in a holster and a mouth call in my shirt pocket. Hope it works out. I tend to try to carry everything but the kitchen sink when I wear a vest.....

This is the way to learn to run a longbox from start to finish. With a vest full of calls you may be tempted to switch to something else, when you just have a longbox you have to bear down and pull the versatility out of it. Good luck this spring!