OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Duckdogdad

Advice needed
« on: March 15, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »
I took my grandson this morning to a chufa food plot turkeys have been tearing up. My plan was to just sit until they showed up, as they do every day. However I got a call from my wife and had to leave at 9:30 due to a family emergency.  We weren’t 50 yards from my chufa patch when we bumped 8 hens roosted along road. Question, trying to decide whether to go back tomorrow or give that spot a day or two rest. What you say?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 03:57:45 PM »
If it’s private and you have the run of the place I might rest it a day or two, but really I don’t know that’s it’s needed. Birds get buggered by something every day yearround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Duckdogdad

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
Yes private. My grandson has to head back to Texas on Sunday, this seemed like easiest place for him to kill a Tom. Six or seven have been showing up each day.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 11:41:52 AM »
Go at them again, get in real early….good luck..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 12:04:21 PM »
Birds were still roosted at 9:30 AM?  Did you bust them walking, or with the vehicle?  Did you hear birds gobbling?

I do agree with Tom007...  Get in early with no lights if possible (at least an hour before sunrise), get comfortable, avoid talking...  Do not call before hearing birds call, and keep calling to a minimum...   All of which can be difficult with a younger child...

If you can, choose a spot you can hide well, and maybe even take something you can use as a ground blind, so the child can move a bit.  Also, when my kids went when they were younger, I took a thick jacket for them to lay down on, and sleep while waiting for the sun to come up, and the birds to wake up...

Hunting with a child, if you are not opposed to decoys, I would set up a hen/jake setup...  Put the jake where you want the shot to be.  Be prepared for some pellets to go into that decoy.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.