Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening Day Tomorrow!!!!

Started by Spellnj3, April 01, 2022, 08:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellnj3

Taking three kids out in the morning, and I can't wait!!!   I'm so excited!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Spellnj3

Here in NC, we get "Youth Week".

JeffC

Good luck to you and the family, have a safe and hopefully successful hunt. But remember to tell the kids, save the biggest bird for you...

lacire

Quote from: Spellnj3 on April 01, 2022, 08:23:25 PM
Here in NC, we get "Youth Week".

Good luck tomorrow, hope the kids have a good time.

Muzzy61

Good luck! Hope you have a bunch of snacks.

Spellnj3

WOW!! What a morning. We setup on about 3-4 gobblers and had two strutting about 75 yards uphill to our left and about one about 75 in front of us on another hill but they would not come any closer.  I think it was because we had two jakes come in to about 20 yards for about 30 minutes.   I told my daughter you can shoot one if you want and she said no I want to wait for a Longbeard!!  Attagirl!!  They eventually walked off and then the  longboards eventually walked off too.   So we saw 3 strutters, two jakes and a bunch of hens.   One weird part is that the strutter that was ahead of us was YELPING!!!   Yelping at us like crazy and not gobbling.  Thats a first for me.  Taking her back out on Monday with her grandfather.  Tomorrow is just the boys, she's having a sleepover at a fiends house tonight.

HillclimberWV

Sounds like you had a great experience this morning. Good luck tomorrow with the boys.

JeffC

So you have some intel for tomorrow, sounds like a great opening day, congrats to your daughter for passing up the jakes.

notsure

Spladle160

I took my son out this morning as well. It was fairly eventful and exciting. got out there a little late but I had everything prepped so I just pulled the decoys out of the blind, set them on the stakes and popped out the chairs. We had a herd of 6 deer come out into the field and for a battle line to stair at us and bob their heads and eventually prance of. We heard at least 3 or 4 separate gobblers on the roost. By about fly down my son was shivering. I guess "dress warm" and supplying hand and foot warmers just wasn't enough. he toughed it out for about an hour but nothing ever really came in close. we did see about 6 turkeys including a few jakes but I really think the strutting tom decoy was way too aggressive and to early. I think we're a week of good weather away from things really heating up but we had a good time. saw birds, and talked to birds.

Muzzy61

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. 

Spellnj3

Heard 5 or 6 gobblers this morning at a different spot but as soon as we called they completely shut up and would not respond at all.  Is it this cold weather??

JeffC

Was windy and made to the 50's today up here, what was temp there? Would guess they were hen up. Same spot as yesterday?