Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Youth Hunts

Started by Spladle160, March 22, 2022, 02:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spladle160

Well my oldest son caught wind of turkey season and quickly made it known he was expecting to go. I should have been so pampered as a kid to have someone else take care of literally everything including breakfast and just go sit, wait and shoot. Anyways...  If I happen to get a good one for him do i get to score it and claim it since I did everything but pull the trigger? 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

No cant take credit for it if you dont pull trigger. If hes like my son,  he will sleep or be playing on phone the whole time,  then you will have to wake him up , then watch as bird runs away as son tries to figure out "what bird, where is the bird".  Was 20 yrs old before taking first Tom..

Spellnj3

I'm on my 4th child so I know the routine.  My kids were all for it.   My oldest 2 sons shot their first when they were 9, my third son shot his first last year when he was 13.  It's my daughters turn now.   I'd like to get to the point where they call one in for me...... someday.

Spellnj3

Quote from: Spladle160 on March 22, 2022, 02:52:57 PM
Well my oldest son caught wind of turkey season and quickly made it known he was expecting to go. I should have been so pampered as a kid to have someone else take care of literally everything including breakfast and just go sit, wait and shoot. Anyways...  If I happen to get a good one for him do i get to score it and claim it since I did everything but pull the trigger?

You get Dad points in my score book

Spladle160

I'm with you, I'm working towards him taking me hunting later!

JeffC

So even though your youth hunts wont count towards our contest, would love to hear how hunts go! So Spellnj3 and Splade160, please take some pictures and share your hunts with us, have a safe and successful hunt this weekend!! :dancingturkey:

Spellnj3

Quote from: JeffC on March 29, 2022, 08:20:31 AM
So even though your youth hunts wont count towards our contest, would love to hear how hunts go! So Spellnj3 and Splade160, please take some pictures and share your hunts with us, have a safe and successful hunt this weekend!! :dancingturkey:

Absolutely!!!

Spladle160

You bet. I just got everything set up this afternoon and sighted in the 20 ga 870 I set up for my son. I pays to start early, getting everything out and prepped I discovered the Fastfire3 on my Versamax had died so it's boxed up to go back to Burris and I'll swap over another Fastfire3 from one of my pistols. It just means I'll have to site in 2 more guns.

Spellnj3

I'm not so nice....all my kids started with my 1187 Supermag shooting 3 1/2 inch Hevi-Shot.   This way I know they won't miss  :laugh:

Spladle160

I guess I could hand him the 870 Supermag with the 3-1/2" TSS but that combo kicked so hard after sighting it in I bought a Versamax. If it's just one shot while hunting any normal recoil is no big deal but patterning these things can be a killer.

Spellnj3