OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: When does your season open?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
When does your season open?
« on: March 13, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »
Youth week starts April 2nd here.  I have 3 that still qualify for that week.  Regular season starts April 9th here in NC.   What about you guys.

Also how long is your season?  Ours in 4 weeks, ends May 7th.  Way too short for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
Re: When does your season open?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 05:22:27 PM »
Our season( North Florida) starts March 19th.

Offline HillclimberWV

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 07:21:02 PM »
Virginia starts the 9th West Virginia the 19th. Both seasons run until middle or late May.

Online JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 08:07:09 PM »
Maryland opens 4/18 closes 5/23. New Jersey where I do most of my Turkey hunting 4/25 to 5/27, but depends on how many permits I am able to buy, won A (first week) and E ( 4 Saturdays) tags through lottery, all unclaimed tags for each zone go on sale at the end of March.

Offline austinc

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 09:45:32 PM »
April 18th-may 8th is season here. Sucks it's so short, but our population is bad low and hopefully itll help them rebound. I plan to travel and hit another state or 2

Offline notsure

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 12:39:05 AM »
MN Season A starts April 13th and ends on the 19th. Season's B-E run subsequently in 7-day increments, while Season F runs from May 18th through the end of the month. Shotgun hunters are permitted to hunt one season (season choices are OTC in most zones), but if unsuccessful, you can legally hunt during Season F with any unfilled tag. I'll probably hunt Season A, weather permitting.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 09:45:46 AM by notsure »

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 08:08:22 AM »
Tennessee is April 2nd-May 15th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spladle160

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 11:01:47 AM »
I'm in Virginia. I've got one maybe for youth/apprentice April 2 and then the season from April 9th - May 14th.

Offline tanna114

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 11:02:59 PM »
Here in Illinois there are 5 separate seasons, each anywhere from 5-7 days. You can get up to 3 tags and they only are good for one county. I have 2nd, 4th and 5th season tags, all for the same county (the one I live in).

2nd season opens up on April 9th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 03:56:16 PM »
Hello, I was just accepted as a member of your team so I’m a little behind here. The California season starts March 26th and runs to May 1st, we’re allowed three toms, no hens unless she’s bearded.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 04:42:43 PM »
Hello, I was just accepted as a member of your team so I’m a little behind here. The California season starts March 26th and runs to May 1st, we’re allowed three toms, no hens unless she’s bearded.

Welcome aboard!

Online JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 06:20:02 PM »
So lacire, I think you are the second one up to hunt for our team. Do you have a bead on some birds? Are you hunting public or private?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 07:32:35 PM by JeffC »

Online JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 07:38:24 PM »
See that Muzzy is up this weekend!!  Where are you heading too to put us on the board? Private or public?? Are you hunting areas where you have had sucess before? 

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 07:55:06 PM »
So lacire, I think you are the first one to hunt for our team. Do you have a bead on some birds? Are you hunting public or private?

Ok, right now I know I’m hunting on private the first day but after that it could change. I shot a really nice bird on public land last year with my son and I would like to go back there, we were R and G and pushing four toms up a pretty steep mountain side and they stayed just out of reach for about an eighth of a mile, we both were winded and breathing heavy when we were almost to the top, so we’re standing there when the four toms looked down over the top of the ridge at us at about 40 yards. All shooters, I took the one on the right and dropped it, my son took one on the left, hit it but the three took off running with the wounded one going a little slower. We ran to the top and the birds went down into a small valley and were just about over the top of the next ridge. The wounded one was following at a distance from the other two. He shot again and hit it just as it was going over the top but it just kept going. He looked at me and I said get going…….he said I’m out of shells. My sons 40 but that’s why I’m still the prepared parent. I lobbed three of my shells at him and he was loading as he ran, over the ridge he went. I waited and waited for a shot but nothing. Finally I saw him carrying the Tom back over the top, it had died about 10 feet on the other side and he must have run past it. It was a good day for us. The two we shot are in my avatar. Attached a picture of that bird and of me so you can see I’m no spring chicken. I didn’t want to show a picture of myself until after I was on the team for that reason and also as you can see, I like Sitka…….  :TooFunny:

https://imgur.com/a/gP2ESKl

Online JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 10:25:53 PM »
Great story,  I am with you, let these young guys do the running. Great picture, You still carrying the humpback?